cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Hourly Vs. Fixed Price which do you prefer?

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
41 of 58

@Kat C wrote:

Interesting...

I don't  struggle with the money end. Always good there.

It is the scope creep that has been a prior battle.

Not any more. Big lessons learned on that front.

I am with Kat on this.

I have never not been paid for fixed price jobs;  even off-site jobs where there is no escrow protection. As far as scope creep goes, I have never had that problem because I always define the deliverable before I accept a contract.

Of course, there is always a first time for everything, but in my experience hourly paid jobs are far more trouble than they are worth.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
42 of 58

Agreeing with Kat -

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
43 of 58

I used to do only fixed-price jobs, but lately I have begun working on hourly jobs.

The problem I have with fixed price jobs is that too many of them are rather low paying.

The problem I have with hourly jobs is that I feel the pressure to work faster (especially when the client is breathing down my neck) and sometimes some errors creep in.

When manual time is allowed, I prefer hourly jobs. That way I can do a final manual copyedit of a paper copy.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
44 of 58

@Lena E wrote:

/

is there anything you would change about the timetracker or aspects of the hourly work process?

@ @Lena,

I have been vocal about this before. The timetracker is not functional for the purposes of tracking time, because though it measures in minutes, it only logs in segments of 10 minutes. I don't see the purpose of going through all that effort with the program, then handicapping it.

What is causes:

- You can't reasonably start when you want to, you have to wait on the 10 minute interval.

- You can't reasonably stop when you wnat to, you have to again wait on the 10 minute interval.

- Logging or not logging portions of 10 minute intervals is left to the discretion of the freelancer (or doodle while you wait on the end of the 10 minutes).

- Wasted time

- Robbed time (on both the freelancer and client end)

I would suggest - allow(ing) the timetracker to do what it was intended > track and log time in real minutes. Allow the client to be billed per minute and the freelancer the freedom to work, stop, and earn, per minute.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Ace Contributor
Wilson E Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
45 of 58

Fixed price only, I even have Hourly set out of my searches, but have no problem if clients invite me and accept manually time. Anyway, the first thing I do is ask if client is ok changing to a flat rate.

I manage multiple jobs at a time and continually shift from one to another... I may forget to deal with the Tracker.

Also, for creative jobs, where sometimes you want to sit down only to think, try different ideas or do some research, some clients may think you are wasting the time.

If it's a non-creative, pepetitive task, I may accept Hourly.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
46 of 58

@Wilson E wrote:

Fixed price only, I even have Hourly set out of my searches, but have no problem if clients invite me and accept manually time. Anyway, the first thing I do is ask if client is ok changing to a flat rate.

I manage multiple jobs at a time and continually shift from one to another... I may forget to deal with the Tracker.

Also, for creative jobs, where sometimes you want to sit down only to think, try different ideas or do some research, some clients may think you are wasting the time.

If it's a non-creative, pepetitive task, I may accept Hourly.

Ahh, so you're the reason I gotta put people in check with the switching of hourly to flat rate.  Pricing is different between the two, so I always gotta say "if you switch this, you get 0 revisions and what you get is what you get." lol What a pain. They usually switch it back to hourly.

Ace Contributor
47 of 58

It works for me and they switch 99.9% of the time to flat rate. I do offer many revisions and get great reviews because I effort to do a great job no matter what :-) 

Community Guru
48 of 58

@Wilson E wrote:

It works for me and they switch 99.9% of the time to flat rate. I do offer many revisions and get great reviews because I effort to do a great job no matter what :-) 

Aww, that's cute. Yer so nice and you get good reviews too. 

Ace Contributor
49 of 58

Thanks, you have great reviews as well!

Community Guru
50 of 58

@Wilson E wrote:

Thanks, you have great reviews as well!

They only do that cuz I think they think I'm cray and I'm not really sure how to take that but you know it works out well when they just wanna give you good reviews to avoid ur rage.

Just call me the godfather of upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS