cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting a job is a fashion

Ace Contributor
Sheikh Ahsan A Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
1 of 14

Now posting a has become a fashion of clients. Since mid of 2014, approximately 89% clients are posting jobs for nothing. They are posting jobs but not hiring. If they are very busy to hire, then they should not post jobs

Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
2 of 14

True Sheikh,

If you go through your old Job applications (to withdraw old ones and bump up your application quota), you come across dozens of jobs posted months ago with many applicants and not a single hire. I wonder if these clients use several freelancing websites (I use a couple of other freelancing sites ever since oDesk screwed up my stats and I can't get any jobs here , no matter how hard I try), and often see the same job post posted in a few of them....

If they use other sites other than oDesk they probably hire someone on the other sites, then never bother to close/delete the job post here. It's very annoying, as a lot of your application quota (and time an effort appliying if you do not copy an paste and actually take time to apply properly to each job) is wasted.

Job posts should only be allowed to be open for a certain amount of time, after that the client should get an email prompting them to close it or hire and, failing that, the job should be automatically deleted and the client penalised LIKE WE ARE PENALISED FOR EVERYTHING

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Smiley Sad

Community Guru
7 of 14

That's what I mean Sheikh,

Because of oDesk's poor management of the system an how it all works, that should be their slogan. Obviously this is a bad thing! It was a sarcastic comment Smiley Happy

Look, I was just looking through the jobs I applied for and found a few like this one (see attachment):

• Job post was posted over 1 month ago
  • Client started interviewing some people (20????)
  • Client didn't come back to check on post for a month now
  • Job still open, no-one hired

I would say 60% of my job searches (for English Spanish translation) result in such results. I am not going to apply to jobs that clearly will get me no work. Hence I can only apply for very few jobs.

I would say I spend on average 2-3 hours everyday sorting through useless job posts, trying to find good ones (good ones are hidden from me, so I have to make dozens of different searches) and I actually apply for like 2-3 a day, and I never get any anyway, since my stats were screwed up and do not reflect my JOB SUCCESS at all (this is another topic anyway).

Sorry Sheikh, I am just so frustrated with almost every aspect of ODESK.. Smiley Sad

Abhishek P Member Since: Jan 10, 2013
7 of 14

Hello Natalia,

I wonder there are many freelancers like you and me who think exactly same and geting annoyed by applying on jobs for no mean.

I am frustrated by all there odesk management that , I am thinking to create a client account just for posting job and interviewing freelance to teach me and get the knowledge of any field that I want in interview process.

And there will be no pressure on me from odesk because I am client. Or it is like odesk works , here any one can post the job for fun.

Eno E Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
7 of 14

oDesk is beginning to do many annoying things and they do not listen to feedbackfrom Freelancers. I have open jobs where the clients ended the contracts and did not update payment or create new payment months back. Now I am being asked to complete those expired jobs and my ability to apply to new ones has been suspended. 

I have had no such problems on other freelance sites. oDesk is really a pain in the neck and I am really considering if it is worth continuing to work here. We bid for jobs which clients post with no intention of hiring. After some time, it simply gets boring. 

oDesk should wake up. 

Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
7 of 14

Natalia,

Leaving old job applications does not reduce your job appication quota...and deleting them does not increase them...you have a set 25 per (I believe) 7 days, after 7 days they roll over to a new 25.

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
7 of 14

William,

I'm not sure if you're referring to the new or old system of the applicaion quota. In the old system (or what I'm using now) - if I withdraw an applicantion, the quota is compensated within a day (or half a day). 

Right now, my quota is 18 with 2 active applications. If I withdrew both applications, my quota should be 20 tomorrow. 

Community Guru
8 of 14

Exacto Lyam!

I am using the old system (the one that has been in place for the 7 years I have been on oDesk), I wish they didn't change it to connects... I have a bad feeling about connects... I know it's gonna screw me over, just like everything else they've come up with lately...

PLEASE ODESK CAN WE REVERT BACK TO HOW EVERYTHING WAS IN 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiley Happy

Community Guru
9 of 14

William, thanks for your response,

I was under the impression that withdrawing applications did increase your quota, I read it somewhere on oDesk but I can't find it now. Also, I know a lot of people are doing that. 

In the help pages it says:

• Your quota refreshes twice daily. This means that if you withdraw an application, it may take up to 12 hours for your quota to update. 

This suggests that when you withdraw something happens to your quota...

I always state as the reason: Unresponsive client (Which is the truth)

I hope I am not being penalized in my Stats becuase of it... if anything it should be the Client who is penalized for posting jobs and never hiring anybody..

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
10 of 14

Yes, when withdrawing my old applications today, I noticed that at least half of them never added a payment method, and therefore couldn't have had any intention of hiring anyone.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS