Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting fixed budget projects into hourly contracts section

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Letizia F Member Since: Mar 18, 2012
1 of 7

Hi, 

I was wondering if Upwork can do or suggest anything about those job posts where clients choose the Hourly Rate section but then ask for a fixed price within the job description.  I see those posts often, and I feel they're wasting my time. 

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

@Letizia F wrote:

I was wondering if Upwork can do or suggest anything about those job posts where clients choose the Hourly Rate section but then ask for a fixed price within the job description.  I see those posts often, and I feel they're wasting my time.

Short of policing every job post and raising fees to pay for that there isn't much Upwork can sensibly do.

I don't really see what the problem is to be honest. Either say you only want to work hourly or give both options. Personally I don't care if a client hires me hourly or via fixed rate, it's all money at the end of the day and all open to negotiation.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Hi Petra,

I'm referring to when I look for jobs, not to when I get invited, so your suggestion ("Either say you only want to work hourly or give both options") does not help, I'm afraid.

My problem is that when I filter jobs search-results to find the hourly rates ones only (and I have reasons to do that),  but then I find clients that - despite they set the job to hourly - within the job description they ask for a fixed price, I find that is:

1. deceiving: in doing so - we won't be able to see other freelancers' bids.

2. not respectful of freelancers and their time: if a client says it's an hourly job, it must be an hourly job. Why mixing things up in the beginning? If they have a problem with spending a maximum budget, they should set a fixed price kind of job. Within the correct job section. 

Although I understand that, to you, fixed or hourly doesn't make any difference, to me it does make difference. For example, a  very simple reason is that I think that fixed-price clients privilege knowing how much they spend, over the quality of what they get. It gives me a "temperature" of what kind of client I have in front of me.

I also have other reasons, but that would open up a whole new discussion about what the differences are, and I won't get into that here, as that's outside the scope of this thread.  I will only say that if fixed price and hourly jobs were the same thing, Upwork itself won't give both the options. Thank you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 7

Oh, I forgot to add that I don't always look up for hourly rate jobs only. I also look for fixed-price jobs, but in different periods I may privilege one category over the other.  For many reasons. I want to say that not to induce thinking that I prefer one category over the other. My point for this whole discussion is all about clearness and transparency. Thanks.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 7

Hi Letizia,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. While we understand the inconvenience this discrepancy might cause, unfortunately apart from the best practice advice we're sharing with clients this is not a violation and clients are allowed to post their job in this way or propose changing the contract type during the interview.

We'll continue doing the best we can to advise clients and configure the job post options in the way to ensure there's clear distinction between Hourly and Fixed-Price contracts, which won't prevent clients from customizing their job description, details and preferences.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 7

Thank you, Vladimir.

I totally agree that it’s right to have the possibility of changing the type of contract. And I understand that for some clients it might be a matter of being undecided between the two types of jobs, initially.

However, I think that the current situation rewards those clients who are intentionally ambiguous (bidding for fixed price jobs inside the hourly category, does not allow freelancers’ to see others’ bids) or just careless and superficial, not taking their time to properly set things up.  I think it takes very little to know if one, as a client,  want to spend a maximum budget - and therefore choose the fixed price category - or if they need somebody for an undefined,  long-term period,  or just care about the quality of work over the amount they spend, and decide to go for the hourly rate. 

That said, I think that more could be done to solve this issue, like for example having a third category, maybe, where a client can decide at a later time of the interview what kind of contract to set, therefore engaging with the freelancers first, to get an idea of what they want, and then decide what kind of contract to set up. Things would be more transparent and easy for everyone, maybe. Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

There is nothing further that Upwork can do about this.

Upwork already has a very clear, straightforward process for clients to follow when the post jobs.

The job-posting tool uses big clear buttons and icons which identify what type of contract is being created: fixed-price or hourly.

I don't see how it could possibly made more clear. I used this tool last week - to create both fixed-price and hourly contracts. There is no confusion.

In practice... very few clients are posting fixed-price jobs when they intend to hire hourly, or vice versa.

If - as a freelancer - you DO run into this, then you will need to make a decision about whether or not to go along with the client's preference, or tell her that you are actually only interested in fixed-price or hourly.

If this was happening a lot or becoming a big problem, maybe Upwork would need to do something more about it. But that's not where we are at right now. We are not seeing excessive or alarming numbers of reports about this.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS