3f3a3787

Probably a dumb question but I can't send private messages.

I keep getting an access denied message when trying to send a message.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I hope to figure it out soon.  Found the perfect person for my project but I can't get in contact with them. 😕

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aocumen

Hi Kiran, 

Have you tried creating a job post, and inviting your freelancer for the job? You should be able to message them via this process.

Could you please share the process you took that lead you to the error?

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
3f3a3787

So I can see my inbox now which is great, but I see no way to compose a message. 

One step closer. 🙂

aocumen

Hi Kiran, 

Have you tried creating a job post, and inviting your freelancer for the job? You should be able to message them via this process.

Could you please share the process you took that lead you to the error?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hey Avery!  Thanks for responding.

I'm new to upwork (just found out about it after using dribbble to find freelancers).  I found the users page and saw that I had the option to message her if I invited her to a job, but before I actually wanted to hire her I had a few questions for her.  I wasn't sure if sending a message like that through the "invite for job" option was the wrong way so I found a help article (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Private-Messages-Don-t-work-or-maybe-I-am-dumb/td-p/6972...) and tried following those steps.

As far as the error, all it told me that access was denied and that the only option I had was to go back to the previous page.  I'm not getting that error anymore and can get into the mailbox, but have no option to compose a message.  Not sure if it just takes time for new accounts or if I need to take additional steps.

Thanks again!

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kiran,

It sounds like you were trying to send a private message in the Community, which isn't the correct process for reaching out and communicating with freelancers you'd consider hiring. Please follow these steps to post a public or private job, invite the freelancer you found and communicate through Messages after they've accepted your invitation and submitted a proposal. I'd also advise you to review the client resources we shared here.

Untitled

Vladimir is it possible to send pvt msg throgh the community, it still doenst work for me I see the inbox the sent message no new pvt message what am I doing wrong

Hi Matthew,

You should be able to send and reply to private messages now. I just sent a test private message to you too. Let us know if you are still unable to send/receive messages here in the Community.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I'm new to Upwork and have the same issue. I simply cannot send a private message in the Community.

It says: "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Could you please help me fix it?

Cheers,

Piotr

Hi Piotr,

If you'd like you can post your question publicly here in the community and we will do our best to help you.

~Nina

Hi Nina,

Thank you, I will do it sooner or later. However I would like to be able to send private messages too.

Is it a problem to enable it for me?

Cheers,

Piotr

Hi Piotr. Please refresh your page and try to send a PM again. It is enabled and should be working on your end.

Untitled

Hi Lena,

It works! Thanks 🙂

So you can't just contact someone before posting a job??

Hi Derrick, 

Clients are unable to contact freelancers unless they have a job post, and have invited a freelancers to apply, or the freelancer applies to their job. 

~ Avery
Upwork

re: "So you can't just contact someone before posting a job??"

Freelancers don't want people sending them messages just to shoot the breeze. Freelancers are here to work and earn money.

If you want to talk to a freelancer, then it is a simple matter to create a job. Creating a job and sending an invitation does not commit you to anything at all. It doesn't cost anything. It is the start of a conversation.

The most professional and respectful way to talk to feeelancer is to set up an hourly job that clearly states you are seeking advice and consultation. Send invites to the freelancers you want to talk to, and click the Hire button as soon as possible during the conversation. Make it clear that you want to pay the freelancer for her time and ask her to run the time-tracker during your discussion, or use manual time.

A successful, ethical client who is serious about making money should expect to pay many freelancers for their time, expertise, and advice, before picking a final group or individual to do the bulk of the work on a project.