🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Profile View Drop in Stats
Page options
jmccpa
Community Member

Profile View Drop in Stats

How many highly experienced Freeelancers have seen their Profile Views in Stats drop precipitouisly in the last few weeks?  Mine has gone from 60-70 to 7.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
221 REPLIES 221
browersr
Community Member

I posted this in the Announcement section for the thread discussing the "Plus" program, but I am attaching the screen shots here as well for those that didn't see that thread. This comes from my basic client account. The second capture is when you click on the lock.

 

UW_Filter1.JPGUW_Filter2.JPG

lysis10
Community Member

Thank you, Scott.

 

This is really, really, reeeeeally bad. For real, if this is what they insist on doing, I will pose a theory that being *below* 90% is better than being TR. No way any client of value will pay $50/month. 

 

I'll seriously just purposely kill my score to be in general search if they don't roll that back. 

 

eta: so it seems (if I'm understanding correctly) that there is a 90%+ option just not top rated. It's still bad for TR people, but if they can still search 90% then I take back the theory that being under 90% is better. But it's still terrible for TR people cuz now you're stuck in with the frauds that got caught and noobs.

browersr
Community Member

Correct. You can choose 90%+ without a Plus account but you cannot choose "Top Rated" or "Rising Talent". I've received 3 views two weeks ago and none in the past 2 weeks. Don't know how much is this change versus a problem with the stats versus anything else. When I did check a likely search from my client account, I was buried to around the 9th circle of hell. 

lysis10
Community Member


Scott B wrote:

Correct. You can choose 90%+ without a Plus account but you cannot choose "Top Rated" or "Rising Talent". I've received 3 views two weeks ago and none in the past 2 weeks. Don't know how much is this change versus a problem with the stats versus anything else. When I did check a likely search from my client account, I was buried to around the 9th circle of hell. 


I'm in the same boat, but I never know what to think anymore. Is it the bug? This new thing? Or just a lull the last couple of weeks? idk anymore. 

 

Not a fan of this new filter at all, because I really don't think any of the work I got all year last year would have happened if clients couldn't just freely find me and invite me. I doubt any of them would have paid $50/month. Even $50 for the year mayyyyyyyyybe but $50/month? No way.

mtngigi
Community Member


Scott B wrote:

I posted this in the Announcement section for the thread discussing the "Plus" program, but I am attaching the screen shots here as well for those that didn't see that thread. This comes from my basic client account. The second capture is when you click on the lock.

 

UW_Filter1.JPG


Here's an idea Scott ... post that screenshot to the client forum to see what kind of reaction happens there. I cannot fathom how anything thinks locking TRs out of reach unless you're willing to pony up is a good idea. Upwork ... what are you thinking?  My morale (am I alone?) is slipping lower and lower with each new "improvement".

 

ETA: Upwork, what is the purpose of that pop-up constantly asking me what I think. You have made it abundantly clear you could give two s___s what I think. Stop pretending you actually give a c__p about my opinion. You don't.

I'm with you Virginia, someone should start with this topic in "Clients" to know what they think of all this.
I would do it, but I will not know how to explain it well 🙂

 

 

It is really time that somebody senior from this company came on board and explained themselves. Upwork is now selling top-rate freelancers - as if we were **Edited for Community Guidelines**.This quite simply UNACCEPTABLE.  I don't mind paying for the (now doubtful) privilege  of  working from this site, but the thought that I and all my colleagues are bound (by JSS) and herded onto a platform so that future **Edited for Community Guidelines** can humiliate us as they will because they have "paid" for us is beyond belief.  

Everyone,

 

I still don't get it. "Search by Top Rated" is a brand new feature. It costs money.

 

No one has ever had it up till now. How can its optional presence for the last week or so be blamed for anything? How can any kind of consequences, dire or positive, be projected from it?

 

Clients can, as always, search by minimum JSS of 90, which is moreover the default setting for new clients. They can, additionally, search by Top Rated if they are flush enough to fork out for the anemic "plus" package.

 

How is this affecting any contractor's business?

Scott, Jennifer and others,

 

I'd like to clarify that the Job Success filter for 90% & up does include and always has included Top Rated freelancers. It will continue to be available to all clients.

The Top Rated filter is new, available to Upwork Plus clients and will allow them to search for Top Rated freelancers only.

Lena has provided more information in her reply here.

~ Valeria
Upwork


Valeria K wrote:

Scott, Jennifer and others,

 

I'd like to clarify that the Job Success filter for 90% & up does include and always has included Top Rated freelancers. It will continue to be available to all clients.

The Top Rated filter is new, available to Upwork Plus clients and will allow them to search for Top Rated freelancers only.

Lena has provided more information in her reply here.


Oh, sure ... as if clients (especially new ones) understand that 90%+ includes TR freelancers. That filter with a lock on it says otherwise. Very misleading, Upwork.

 

ETA: For truth in advertising, please add "includes top-rated freelancers" after that 90%+.

You'd laugh but this thing CLEARLY just broke down again! showing 1 profile view every one of the last 3 weeks for me now while was a lot more a few hours ago. Come on people you gotta put this thing finally together.

OOops! Mine has also changed from yesterday to today Robot FrustratedRobot LOLRobot LOLRobot LOL

Hi Alexander and Maria,

 

I'm checking on your profile views stats with the team at the moment and will be back with an update once I know more.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeria.

Alexander, Maria and Richard,

 

I have confirmed with our engineers that the issue should now be fixed fully and there shouldn't be any changes to how this metric is calculated anymore. 

 

Thank you for your patience!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria, it does not matter if you want to make it pretty.
As there are few clueless customers when they start on the platform ..., as if to confuse them a little more.
IT IS NOT CLEAR that "90% & up" includes TR (and RT). If you do not want it to "look like" a hoax, it should be clear in the election:
- 90% & up (includes TR and RT)
- Only Top Rated
- Only Rising Talent
And, anyway, I do not like all this at all.
I do not know who is asking for these changes, and why.

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

 

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

 


Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

 

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

 


________________________________

 

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 


Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

 

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

 


________________________________

 

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 


As the 90% plus filter (obviously) includes top rated freelancers who are easily identified by their icon, if a client really wants a top rated freelancer they can find them easily enough in a search for 90% plus. They can then just click on the top rated ones in the search results.

 


Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

 

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

 


________________________________

 

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 


As the 90% plus filter (obviously) includes top rated freelancers who are easily identified by their icon, if a client really wants a top rated freelancer they can find them easily enough in a search for 90% plus. They can then just click on the top rated ones in the search results.

 


In what sense is it "obvious" to a client that the 90%+ filter includes top-rated freelancers? Surely you do not expect them to know or care to know what the Top Rated criteria are.

The point some of us are making is that there is, as you rightly point out, an easy way for clients to find Top Rated freelancers without paying for the privilege. Upwork's interface, however, obfuscates that fact by dangling the Top Rated search filter in front of clients and asking them to pay for something they have no need to pay for. This seems to take Upwork perilously close to a deceptive trade practice, something for which the governing authorities in California have little tolerance.

I agree Nichola, that's why I said that the possibilities of choice should be better specified, that there is no need to pay to find the best classified ones, only who wants to filter "only to them" will have to do it.
I do not know if I explain myself very well 🙂

Maria T. wrote:

I agree Nichola, that's why I said that the possibilities of choice should be better specified, that there is no need to pay to find the best classified ones, only who wants to filter "only to them" will have to do it.
I do not know if I explain myself very well 🙂

 

 

I already explained it, Maria ... they need to add "includes TR and RT" after the 90%+.

And they should also add the word "Only" before TR and RT.  It's called being truthful ... something Upwork seems to have a hard time doing these days.


 

browersr
Community Member

While I overall agree with Petra's point about the 90%+ search, the question is why then does UW feel the need to create a separate filter and feel it's useful enough to make it a paid feature? Following, why would UW charge for a self-service feature that can reduce the friction of putting buyer and seller together which in the end is how UW makes money?


Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

 

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

 


________________________________

 

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 


It is clear from Valeria's explanation: If a client wants a top-rated freelancer they do not have to pay.

However, Valeria's explanation is nowhere in sight on the screen where the client is having a Top Rated filter dangled in front of them, and has to make a decision about committing to a program of dubious value. Moreover, if they bite and then repent, they may find themselves operating under the new "Basic" membership; long-term clients, depending on the frequency of their contracts, may find themselves bound by entirely new terms—effectively punished for being tempted by Upwork's specious blandishment.

My Profile Views graph has just changed again. I've now seen at least 4 different versions of my views history for the last few weeks. This rewriting of history seems Orwellian!


Douglas Michael M wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Petra R wrote:

To be honest, I am not sure what the fuss is about.

If a client searches without a JSS filter, he'll find top rated freelancers

If a client searches with a JSS filter 90% +, he'll find top rated freelancers

The "top rated" filter just eliminates the  90% + that are not top rated yet.

 

It's not as if any kind of search excludes top rated freelancers.

The majority of freelancers with a JSS are 90% plus anyway...

 


________________________________

 

But what is not clear is that it would seem that clients may not search top-rated freelancers unless they have paid the premium. So if a client wants a top-rated freelancer they have to pay. This what I understood from Scott's screen shot. 


It is clear from Valeria's explanation: If a client wants a top-rated freelancer they do not have to pay.

However, Valeria's explanation is nowhere in sight on the screen where the client is having a Top Rated filter dangled in front of them, and has to make a decision about committing to a program of dubious value. Moreover, if they bite and then repent, they may find themselves operating under the new "Basic" membership; long-term clients, depending on the frequency of their contracts, may find themselves bound by entirely new terms—effectively punished for being tempted by Upwork's specious blandishment.

 

"specious blandishment"  -  Love it ... that's a perfect description of what clients are being offered.  


 

barada00
Community Member


Virginia F wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

 

However, Valeria's explanation is nowhere in sight on the screen where the client is having a Top Rated filter dangled in front of them, and has to make a decision about committing to a program of dubious value. Moreover, if they bite and then repent, they may find themselves operating under the new "Basic" membership; long-term clients, depending on the frequency of their contracts, may find themselves bound by entirely new terms—effectively punished for being tempted by Upwork's specious blandishment.

 

"specious blandishment"  -  Love it ... that's a perfect description of what clients are being offered.  


 


Just a sec, I'll go find an English to English interpreter.

mtngigi
Community Member

Here you go, Baris:

 

specious |ˈspē sh əs|
adjective
superficially plausible, but actually wrong : a specious argument.
Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive.

 

bland·ish·ment | ˈblandishmənt|
noun
blandishment; plural noun: blandishments
A flattering or pleasing statement or action used to persuade someone gently to do something.
lysis10
Community Member

TIL 2 new words!  I don't remember them being on the GRE either. 😄

I've actually never seen those two words used together before.  Double kudos!

ETA:  Douglas Michael wins the internet today!

sam-sly
Community Member


Jennifer M wrote:

You guys made me look! Yeeeeeesh.

 

UHQMT0U


That is the exact same shape as my chart,  except mine says I was discovered six times and down 84%.

I think it happens Because of your Profile Title, Skill and categories selection. I think we should focus on it more and before applying for any job we should understand their requirement.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 


I am unable to confirm if there is an issue affecting this section of the My Stats page. Just the same, I have shared this with the team so that it can be investigated further. Once our team has more information, we'll come back here, and we'll let you know. 

We appreciate your patience as the team looks into this. Thank you!


~ Avery
Upwork



Avery O wrote:

Hi everyone, 


I am unable to confirm if there is an issue affecting this section of the My Stats page. Just the same, I have shared this with the team so that it can be investigated further. Once our team has more information, we'll come back here, and we'll let you know. 

We appreciate your patience as the team looks into this. Thank you!


Yes, I wanto to know why it says +11% while the graph shows the opposite.



Jennifer R wrote:


Avery O wrote:

Hi everyone, 


I am unable to confirm if there is an issue affecting this section of the My Stats page. Just the same, I have shared this with the team so that it can be investigated further. Once our team has more information, we'll come back here, and we'll let you know. 

We appreciate your patience as the team looks into this. Thank you!


Yes, I wanto to know why it says +11% while the graph shows the opposite.


Previous week-----Last week-----This week

Your view rate went up 10% last week from the previous week. That expression doesn't say anything about the move from last week to this week.

 

Hi Jennifer, 


I wanted to check if you were able to get a screen grab of your stats? I checked yours and can see that it's showing as 9 views, "almost the same as last week." Let me know!

 


Jennifer R wrote:
Yes, I wanto to know why it says +11% while the graph shows the opposite.

 


~ Avery
Upwork



Avery O wrote:

Hi Jennifer, 


I wanted to check if you were able to get a screen grab of your stats? I checked yours and can see that it's showing as 9 views, "almost the same as last week." Let me know!

 


Jennifer R wrote:
Yes, I wanto to know why it says +11% while the graph shows the opposite.

 


This was saturday:

 

 

Screenshot 2019-02-23 22.25.30.png

 

And this  is today:

Screenshot 2019-02-25 09.13.35.png

 

Maybe we can get a definition of week. Is it the last 7 days? Is it between two specific days?

 

Jennifer R,

 

I think another Freelancer had addressed this.  While there is still a big BUG in the data, not yet resolved, the arithmetic of the % is based not upon the last week shown but:

 

LAST week, 2nd from right (not the current week shown to the right)

 

compared to

 

PREVIOUS week, 3rd from right

 

Joe

 

 

 

 

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV


Joseph C wrote:

 

I think another Freelancer had addressed this.  While there is still a big BUG in the data, not yet resolved, the arithmetic of the % is based not upon the last week shown but:

 

LAST week, 2nd from right (not the current week shown to the right)

 

compared to

 

PREVIOUS week, 3rd from right

 

Joe

 


I'm pretty sure it's been that way throughout the 18 months I've been using Upwork.

 

Another peculiarity... According to Upwork, 2 and 2 are "almost the same":

 

Untitled2.png


Joseph C wrote:

Jennifer R,

 

I think another Freelancer had addressed this.  While there is still a big BUG in the data, not yet resolved, the arithmetic of the % is based not upon the last week shown but:

 

LAST week, 2nd from right (not the current week shown to the right)

 

compared to

 

PREVIOUS week, 3rd from right

 

Joe


I get the bid with last week and previous week but Avery says I have 9 view, while it said 2 at that time. I believe being viewed is also not the same as being discovered. So maybe we can get a glossary so we can make sense of the informatio Upwork is trying to provide.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths