🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposal Boosting System
Page options
d4c4f8b5
Community Member

Proposal Boosting System

Almost all of the job posts that I see nowadays, even the ones where the payment method is not verified are filled with proposals boosted by +50, +80.

I am just curious if this super spending on Connect pays off. Anyone experienced? 

I did boosted some of my proposals but the clients just saw them and never responded. 

d4c4f8b5_0-1701690753473.png

3 REPLIES 3
wlyonsatl
Community Member

By far the greatest beneficiary of the current proposal boosting "feature" is no doubt Upwork, which needs every scrap of additional revenue it can find.

But it appears freelancers who boost their proposals are, on average, not getting a substantial advantage in winning new projects:

Upwork Says Boosting Proposals Improves Propo... - Upwork Community

sourceprouk
Community Member

Yes, in my job category (Engineering/Industrial Design) there is somebody who automatically places a bid of 50 connects on all the jobs. It is one person or a group of 'bots'. I know it is only one because this person/group are usually one of the first ones to bid on the new jobs and sometimes there is just the bid of 50 connects and no other boosted places in the first hours. I have also worked out that he/they charge $25 or less per hour (which is relatively low in my business). 

They may have worked out that it pays. Maybe they manage to engage the client, then make all kinds of promises of cheap work. Many clients fall for that.

I have done an experiment twice, comparing the results of client engagment and/or giving me jobs with and without boosted proposals. The difference is negligible.

So now that you say 50 connects (it seems to be the magic number), I wonder if this person or group of people are doing that on several categories. Maybe they are getting the jobs with a low fee and subcontract them in India, China or Pakistan for $3 to $5 per hour and they make their money with the quantity with a low margin.

I recently spoke to a potential client who told me he wanted to change his provider when he realised that his 'designer' had subcontracted his job.

iamkhatkar
Community Member

Never apply to such jobs... Never!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members