🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Purchase 100 Connects Before Sending Your Fir...
Page options
celgins
Community Member

Purchase 100 Connects Before Sending Your First Proposal

I didn't realize that Upwork is now requiring new freelancers to buy 100 Connects before sending their first proposal. Upwork updated their Understanding and Using Connects page around May 17, 2024. It says:

When you join Upwork, you need to either purchase 100 Connects or subscribe to our Freelancer Plus plan if you want to submit proposals. Once you choose one, we’ll give you a one-time bonus of 50 Connects to help get you started on Upwork.

I guess this will help reduce the number of new freelancers who can send proposals, but it also might eliminate some of the fraudsters who create new accounts just to collect 50 free Connects.

Any freelancer can still create a new account. To me, that means a lot of abandoned new accounts because many freelancers might choose to avoid spending $15.00 just to send their first proposal.

21 REPLIES 21
spectralua
Community Member

Yep, 100 connects or FLPlus. I think it is a great idea. One good of many stupid for last years. Many bots will be filtered with no effort. Also Upwork wil gain money from anyone registered (some freelancers never paid connects and used free only).

I hope Upwork finally found that site is dead and trying to reanimate it.

I think it's a good idea too. It should definitely reduce the number of fraudsters who throw away accounts once their 50 Connects are used up.

Now, if they would just bring back those skills tests.

atreglia
Community Member

Clark S wrote:

I think it's a good idea too. It should definitely reduce the number of fraudsters who throw away accounts once their 50 Connects are used up.

Are they really fraudsters though?  I ask that because fraudsters typically try to get something for nothing.  But all I see here are a bunch of people trying desperately to get a job so they can actually earn a living, which is not something high on the list of fraudsters, as far as I know anyway.

I could be wrong, but my hunch is that this is going to go over like a lead balloon.  I mean, Upwork will make money off it, but on the junk proposal end I don’t think it’s going to curtail much.  Desperation for a job is a mindset that I don’t think $15 will cure.  These new freelancers will be starting out with 150 connects instead of 50 so things may actually get worse for us.    But, who knows, one can hope right?

yofazza
Community Member

Fraud, as in 'not playing by the rules' I think.

The 'cost increase' makes the 'effort' to create multiple fake accounts more feasible, which results in the heightened risk of not being able to verify the account (to get paid). This in turn results in the increased effort to bring the clients outside when a fake account proposal is interviewed, hence the recent multiple scam prevention no circumvention warnings.

But I have a feeling that it's all in "the plan", since the beginning, since they opened the gate. They took it easy and slowly when lots of CLIENTS complained about the junk botted proposals, like if they know it before, that it will happen, where they wait until their data said "it's now the time to run the next plan".

@Clark I don't think they will bring back the skills test, or anything that could bring them to the previous situation (of happy-users in not-profiting marketplace).

atreglia
Community Member

I didn’t think of the fake accounts bringing clients outside the platform.  Good point.  With regard to “it’s now time to run the next plan”, I kind of differ in my opinion of that.  I kind of think they’re just winging it with the milking until they can’t anymore — and I think that time is just about here.  My guess is they’re after the newbies for now, then another round of milking freelancers to subsidize the mess from monetizing newbies.  Who knows, maybe by that time there won’t be anyone left to monetize but themselves, lol.

yofazza
Community Member

I'm thinking, if you already have a good hold of something (in this case, a great share of users in the freelance marketplace world), then you encounter a problem (you never profit), you'll think of a solution carefully and slowly rather than "milk everything while you can, and bail"... Especially when you have a group of optimist investors paying your bills.

Yes the users are milked, but they (Upwork) have contingency plans. That's what I think. "THE saturation point" (no more paying freelancers because all of them realized there are no more clients here, as a result of the past few years policy) I mentioned below, is  a "checkpoint that must never be reached" in the plan 😊 I think some of you have "predicted" that Upwork will close down soon. This is the saturation point where I said they knew about it and they will make sure that it will never be reached (see paragraph 1).

So as always I'll say, users should realize who they are, know how the management look at them, and don't get caught in their (Upwork's) game.

celgins
Community Member

Are they really fraudsters though?

I'm not sure if "fraudster" is the correct word.

I'm speaking specifically about persons who created Upwork profiles; got their 50 free Connects; burned through them; abandoned the account/profile; and immediately created another account/profile (with a throwaway email address); and got another batch of 50 free Connects. This cycle would continue--I guess--until the person grew tired of it or until they won a few jobs.

In my view, these people were getting something for nothing because they never paid for Connects, and never remained on the site long enough to get their monthly 10 free Connects.

I can understand how desperation could lead people to do this, so I'm not sure if "fraud" is the right word. "Unethical" and "improper" may be more fitting because Upwork does have policies against creating multiple accounts, and thousands of freelancers did this just to receive 50 free Connects.

atreglia
Community Member

Clark S wrote:
Are they really fraudsters though?

I'm not sure if "fraudster" is the correct word.

I know what you mean, and my apologies if it seemed I was playing semantics.  My only point was that charging $15 for membership is not likely to change the desperate mindset, it just means bad actors have to change their game.  Just like all the other happy hoopla with connects and boosts, they’re just bandaids that bring Upwork revenue but haven’t helped the platform so far.   

celgins
Community Member

No worries--I wasn't thinking of a play on semantics.

And, I agree--I don't think it will help much with the desperate mindset or deter a large band of bad actors. I think it could mostly impact newcomers who are unwilling (or unable) to part with $15.00, especially if they know beforehand that their chances of winning a job are slim to none.

yofazza
Community Member

Maybe they're approaching THE saturation point, and this is part of their contingency plans 😁

atreglia
Community Member

Radia L wrote:

Maybe they're approaching THE saturation point, and this is part of their contingency plans 😁

GMTA!!  Monetizing memberships now....I don't think we're there yet, but we're closer!  

2799a047
Community Member

However, there are those like me who lost their job months ago and arying to get by on very little income.  I have to literally budget the 15.00 as I have a family of 4 with bills to pay until I land a job.  This forum was presented to me as a way to help with income utilizing my skills and recommended by a doctor who was just trying to help me.  I will be patient and keep budgeting until I can prove my worth on this platform.

In any case you will have to buy connects. 10 free monthly is a joke when the cost of an application is 30. Are you sure this is the best place where you can play for the money your family needs? The risks are high and there are no guarantees.

Sorry too hear about your real life job.

Wish I could help and will keep your profile in mind if I run across someone needing your services.

This forum was presented to me as a way to help with income utilizing my skills and recommended by a doctor who was just trying to help me.

Yes, freelancing can be a way to add income, but unfortunately the people who recommended the platform haven't used it, or used it in the last two years. Even people with excellent skills have to send in sometimes dozens of proposals before finding a real job. As a freelancer, you have to pay for everything, including using the job platform.

If you have marketable skills, and you are good at vetting clients and jobs, you will have success. It can take time and money, but people still make money here, but it's not like it was before. Have a stellar profile and portfolio, and even better proposals, and you will succeed.

Mykola has a point. Because it costs to freelance, you should consider all of your options. If it's someone's last $15, it should not be spent on connects.

8fceaee0
Community Member

Hi,

I wanted to express my gratitude for the invaluable support and opportunities this platform provides. Unfortunately, at this time, I find myself facing financial constraints that prevent me from purchasing 100 connects or a subscription plan. Is there a way that I can get a project where I could contribute my skills and expertise?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Waqar,

You can still join and use Upwork without buying Connects. Setting up a Project Catalog project requires no Connects and your freelancer profile will still appear in search results so clients can invite you to jobs directly (which doesn’t require Connects) or send you an offer. To submit a proposal for a job, however, you will need to either: subscribe to our Freelancer Plus membership plan for $20 a month or purchase 100 Connects for $15 USD.

P.S. Here are some courses you may find helpful as you get started on Upwork. You can find these and more in the Upwork Academy:

Hope that helps!

~Andrea
Upwork

How many project catalog approved? I didn't heard from anyone who's project catalog is approved from starting of May 🤔 Top rated, expert vetted freelancers project catalog are still pending...as mediator you can pass update to and team and vice versa.

c8c16061
Community Member

That's rather interesting. Seems I chose just about the right time to open my account (last week) on Upwork, as I was able to send out some proposals without purchasing 100 connects in the previous few days. 

Perhaps this change is yet to be launched worldwide, unsure. Either way, hoping I can land a few jobs with the connects I'm about to purchase soon!

spectralua
Community Member

Where is UpworkGPT? Instead of creating stupid templated jobs\proposals it should be used to answer newbies for question "where is my 50 free connects?". Topics creating each 5 min. It will be solution. 😸

Correct...and they send official mail for this update?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members