🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Rate and Profile
Page options
mtngigi
Community Member

Re: Rate and Profile

Mary-Helen R wrote:

Thank you Virginia. I'm glad to hear about Danny M as I had almost signed up (but then read a proposal where he starts out "I don't usually look for jobs as I'm so busy, but ..."

I'll go change my title.  Thank you for being so helpful!

It's better. But as Phyllis pointed out, you have to grab them right at the start. My suggestions:

1) I would lose paragraphs 4-7 and start with "Let's talk about what you need". Then combine copy and grant writing under one heading and put all those bullet points under that umbrella.

2) I would lose "A funder" etc. Your profile should be about what you can offer to the client you're sending your bids to.

3) You mention your portfolio - clients are already directed to your profile and portfolio if they click on your bid. Attach a few relevant samples (if you don't) with your bids, then say something like "more samples can be viewed, etc."

My 2¢

3 REPLIES 3
maryrossi
Community Member

I'm just in awe of the kindness I've received here. Virginia, I'm heading back to my profile to consider your suggestions ... I may take the risk of becoming pushy by running a couple of reactions by you, if that's okay. Thank you!

maryrossi
Community Member

Hi again. I incorporated almost all of your suggestions, and I'm hoping you can tell me what you think now? I think the only suggestion I didn't take was to combine grant writing with the others, b/c the two worlds (for-profit and not-for-profit) just don't think alike and most see the other as a 'foreign body'.

And by the way, many people think that being a grant writer opens up a big, very professional world of opportunities. Not so! Most nonprofits have little money to put to grant writing and foundations don't want to pay for it ... they want to pay for services, not admin costs. Reality, nonprofits often want you to do it for a percentage if and when they win the award. But whether or not they win depends ore on them than on the grantwriter!

Mary-Helen R wrote:

Hi again. I incorporated almost all of your suggestions, and I'm hoping you can tell me what you think now? I think the only suggestion I didn't take was to combine grant writing with the others, b/c the two worlds (for-profit and not-for-profit) just don't think alike and most see the other as a 'foreign body'.

And by the way, many people think that being a grant writer opens up a big, very professional world of opportunities. Not so! Most nonprofits have little money to put to grant writing and foundations don't want to pay for it ... they want to pay for services, not admin costs. Reality, nonprofits often want you to do it for a percentage if and when they win the award. But whether or not they win depends ore on them than on the grantwriter!

Looks much better. What you did with the writing and grant writing was what I meant ... not to combine them but to seperate them within the same space.

Just one more little thing - lose the first review ("Beautifully crafted, etc.) to see if that will eliminate the "more" so that the rest of your overview isn't hidden. The other review says it all. This way the client doesn't have to click through to see the important points.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths