cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really sick of low quality jobs like this (marked "interesting job" as well)

Highlighted
James G Member Since: Jan 25, 2017
1 of 22

I have to post this as it's really putting me off the platform. What's the point in having a system in place for different levels of designers when people just completely ignore it. Maybe it's not clear enough when they post the job, what the different options are and what their money will get them? I think it needs to be very clear that $10 will not get you a quality logo. Of course this depends on the freelancers country economy but Upwork shouldn't allow low bids and a cheap economy to drive prices down for those of us trying to make a living on here.

Let's say a company needs a new logo / brand and they have a budget in mind of $250. They come on upwork to see what other people are putting jobs up for and they see 5, 10, 20 USD. Do you think this small business owner will stick to that budget of $250? No they won't because they will presume they've overestimated the cost of getting such work done. That's why we're seeing so many of these jobs.

I'm seeing so much of this and too many jobs that are $5 - $10 for a logo. Especially when we're being charged 20% fees up to $500, this is very hard to exceed with clients like this.

Is there anything you're doing to prevent economies from dicatating price on this platform?

Take a look at the attachment to see a prime example of this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 22

@James G wrote:

Is there anything you're doing to prevent economies from dicatating price on this platform?

Upwork doesn't regulate the market and never will.

I never look at the cheap jobs. I don't care about cheap jobs. I look only at jobs that are worth considering. This way I have more time doing fun things. I suggest everyone to do the same. You'll feel way better :-)

If a client wants a $5 logo, they will find someone to "do" it for that price. They will end up with a logo stolen from somewhere on the Internet and everybody will be happy. It doesn't concern me and it doesn't concern you.

There is more than one market on Upwork. The low-quality market is for cheap freelancers. The other one is for quality providers.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 22

Hi James,

I've reviewed the job you shared and will ask our team to request the client shares more details about the job. I'll also ask our team to check why this job was marked as an interesting job in your job feed.

Regarding the jobs with low budget, freelancers are advised not to compromise their rate and bid on jobs with an appropriate budget.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
4 of 22

What would you suggest?

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
5 of 22

Well, it is up to the freelancers to demand a better income. I would assume that freelancers who become experienced bid for higher rates. Therefore, clients will find less high quality freelancers who are willing to work for a low cost. If there are no experienced freelancers willing to bid on a $5 logo, then the company would need to increase their budget for the job. It is against a freelancer's best interest if they regularly filter for the lower paid jobs. I find it more effective to filter for those jobs which have less than 5 proposals. We all need to earn a living.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 22

There are tons of high-quality jobs here.

If I was able to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I would not be able to match the demand for clients wanting to pay me $88 per hour to work on their projects.

I basically am forced to keep my profile blocked nearly all the time so that I am not continually sent invitations that I need to turn down due to not having enough time.

Not every job niche is the same. And not every freelancer is positioned in the high-quality markets. That is a good thing. There is a diverse spectrum of freelancers for clients to choose from.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 22

James,

Upwork is a free-market platform. People can post (almost) any kind of job they want to. In the same way, we are free to apply.

I am not being snooty here, just stating the bare facts. Filtering your searches helps a lot.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 22

@Preston H wrote:

There are tons of high-quality jobs here.

If I was able to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I would not be able to match the demand for clients wanting to pay me $88 per hour to work on their projects.

This is also my experience (though I only charge $67/hour). I have ongoing clients outside the platform as well, but I always have more work available than I can handle here, and I'm in a very different field than Preston.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
9 of 22

The point is, many new clients really have no clue about what budget they should set. Those are likely to be influenced and copy what they see. A price guide wouldn't harm. 

The platform of my country used to have those guides. Unfortunately, 'F' bought this platform lately and I can't tell if it worked, but it sounds like a good idea to me. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 22

@Maria C wrote:

The point is, many new clients really have no clue about what budget they should set. Those are likely to be influenced and copy what they see. A price guide wouldn't harm. 

Clients don't see the job feed. Unless they are also a freelancer.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS