🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reason for JSS decrease
Page options
fa749755
Community Member

Reason for JSS decrease

My JSS was 90% last week and in that week I've got 5 star review from my client and the JSS drops to 84% which is weird. Could you tell me what is going on my JSS calculation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

500 REPLIES 500

Some good feedback fell out of the calculation windows. 

Hi Moadib,

Thank you for your post. Please note that neither our team nor our Customer Support team can share details about how specific contracts affect Job Succes Score. I want to clarify that your JSS can change because:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

You can find more information in this help article.
~ Arjay
Upwork
farhajbutt1
Community Member

hello from me,

i become top rated recently, and before the top rated my 3 contract in running. suddenly one day my jss 100 % drop by 97

after that i completed two contract an di got 5 star from one and 4.5 from one... and after that 2 contract my jss still 97%.? why? and my one contract is still running. nut today my jss drop again 94% now/? whats is the game? i finised the cotract and got a good starz,,,but they still go to down? kindly explain and clear me.... thanks 

Forget the stars, it's always the private feedback. The last contract indicates not great private feedback. 

farhajbutt1
Community Member

hello, i think you cant get my poit... my jss is drop before the two contract end...  means i am 100 jss with three contract running.. and after few days i have 97 jss (still running the contracts)...

i finished the contract after 97 jss means you drop my jss is totally ot of this world.. you say its becaise clients private feedback then how the clients giveme the feedback if contract in running.... kinldy give me any logic... i read you answe already on here.... 

now you got it? my jss drop before any contract activity......after 97 i finsihed the contract.... right..... 

plavsicm
Community Member

Hi all,

As the headline points out, I am having trouble with unexpectedly losing JSS even though I was inactive for some time. During my inactivity, I did not leave any open contracts. 
It's quite frustrating losing your stats just easy as that. Any help to acknowledge why is this happening would be much appreciated. 

BR,
Mirjan

I think JSS, as well as our yearly earnings, keep changing based on the yearly cycle completed on that day.

So, if you had certain JSS and early earningon 27th July 2021, it will change on 28th July 2022 based on the period in between. You might have been inactive now, but perhaps last year during this period you were very active.

You don't lose your JSS because of inactivity, unless it's over 24 months, then it disappears completely. 

Your jobs move through the 6/12/24 months calculation windows because time passes. A bad outcome might have more weight when you have very few contracts in the respective windows. A good outcome(s) have fallen out and don't contribute any longer. 

farhajbutt1
Community Member

got a 5star review two day go but my jss is not going to icrease.... its still 94

and now someone from upwork give me the reson ....

personal feedback bla bla bla..... 

so ? why my jss is not increased? 

farhajbutt1
Community Member

hello upworkerz? answer me if you have time?

samita-tamrakar
Community Member

hello friends,

I stopped working on Upwork for about 2 years and now my Job Success Score has collapsed. How can I regain my previous status quickly? 

It hasn't collapsed, the longest calculation window is 24 months. In order to get a JSS again, you need a few more contracts and make sure you ALWAYS get feedback from the client. Don't end contracts yourself. 

Yes, that would work. But it's not as easy as it used to be. I was wondering if there are any other ways to boost my profile for now.

technerdnyc
Community Member

Hello,

i got Top rated badge and many projects and almost completed all with good rating except 2-3. Now my JSS dropped down to 89 and I don't see my Top rated badge. I have few questions in mind.

1, I had many hourly contracts in my list few I am working on occasionally and other didn't wrok on since 3-4 months as I thought they may come again for work. So should I end those hourly contracts. I think they are effecting my JSS.

2, If due date of gixed price contract passed and project delivered after due date, does it effect JSS,

3, How we can make sure our hourly contrcats are not effecting our JSS.

4, if My JSS rises again to 90 will my top rated badge be back? 
5, my top rated eligibility weeks score is showing 8-16 since last 2 weeks. 
It will be highly appreciated if I can get answers for my queries.

Thanks

1. They don't. 

2. No

3. Get good feedback

4. Yes, if all the other requirements are also fulfilled

5. Ok. 

ayaan_8
Community Member

So, I've completed one contract which lasted for almost 13 months and have another ongoing contract since March 2022.

On the first contract I got a review of 4 star from the client. Total hours I put was 500.

Yesterday, job success score appeared on my profile and it is only 57%.

This is very worrying for me and can someone please explain to me why I got such a low job success score and also, please could you help me with what to do to raise this and how to get a contract with such a low job success score.

Thanks in advance.

max_spencer
Community Member

last week my jss dropped by 2% but I didn't have any new contracts or reviews. This happens for the second time. Help someone 

Hi Irakli,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ AJ
Upwork

it does not help me in my situation. 2 weeks ago the score dropped 4% for no reason. after I post here, these 4% were returned to me. now the situation is the same, but now 2% and not 4.

Hi Irakli,

I checked your account and can see a JSS of 96%. Can you please try clearing your cache and cookies? Please let us know if the issue persists.

~ AJ
Upwork

i know that jss is 96. it was 98

Hi Irakli,

Please note that Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Check out this guide to learn more about the factors affecting your Job Success Score.

With that being said, there is always a reason for the trend of your JSS and it does not just change for no reason. We don't reveal the exact calculation for your score because doing so would make it easier for some users to artificially boost their scores. To ensure fairness and accuracy in the marketplace, we need to maintain some privacy with this metric.

~ AJ
Upwork
hamxabhatti4
Community Member

Hello everyone... 

Today Upwork stats updated and i have completed a $500 project with good ratings in previous weeks... 

Still my JSS is at 80%. Can Upwork check if there is an issue with my JSS... 

Thanks

Hi Muhammad,

I'm afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Please know that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this help article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bf63fcdb
Community Member

Hello there, I’m calling your attention to an error on my Job success score. I had a 5 star review on a 13,900$ job completed after 3+ months of hard work; yet my Job success score didn’t change. It remained stagnant. What’s going on, please?

hi, I completed a 5 star job in 14 days, but my JSS went from 73 to 72, I don't understand why? can you help me?

Hi Timileyin and Elnur,

I understand that you are both concerned about your current scores, but please note that to ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we can't share the specifics of how your JSS is calculated. Many factors are taken into consideration in the JSS calculation, such as the feedback you receive, the number of jobs completed as well as their dollar weight, the score's time frame, etc. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
logicdigger
Community Member

Hye! 

I have completed around 20+ contracts in the last 3 weeks. I delivered each order within a few hours after the job was received. Each job was successful with great feedback without any revisions. A few days ago one of my clients asked for some Work I have given the quotation. He tried to reduce the price but I did not reduce it after the job was done he left 5-star ratings but I noticed my recommendation score dropped instantly. I asked him if not satisfied with my work I can help him, I am available. he was happy the job was done without any revisions. Today my js JSS dropped 100% to 98% I feel he gave negative feedback in private when I did not reduce the prices or maybe another reason.  

20+ jobs completed in 3,4  weeks 
No, revisions
on-time delivery within an hours 
instant reply

tried to deliver extra to each client if possible

but still dropped my JSS without any my fault. anyone can help me. 

Thank you

Hi Lakshman,

Thank you for your message. A freelancer’s Job Success score is a measure of their work and reputation on Upwork based on client feedback and indicators of client satisfaction. It includes their public and private feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. You can read more about the positive and negative indicators that make up your score here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
codistepvtltd
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

My success percentage is not moving, I have completed 2 successful projects in the last 2 weeks,  1 with a 5-star rating and 1 with 4.7. but my percentage is moving from 92% to 91%?

Why did this happen? 

Hi Nishant,

Thank you for your message. A freelancer’s Job Success score captures a breadth of information not already reflected in their star rating or profile. Job Success scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. Because the information above isn’t included in a freelancer’s star rating, your JSS score may differ dramatically from your star rating.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
efa19b74
Community Member

Why did my JSS drop so much from 100% to 76% and because of only one client's 4.8 ratings? I understand if it dropped by 98%, 95%, or even 90%, but how is it possible that it dropped so much? If my last client even gave me 1 star on private feedback, then it is not fair to drop direct 24%. This is totally unfair to freelancers, and when I contact support, they don't even tell me the reason for JSS's decline; they give only generic answers.

You've only 5 completed contracts with a rating, so each feedback has a huge impact on your JSS. Maybe, you can ask (once) the clients of the other closed contracts if they can leave you feedback - I think the window is open for 14 days after the contract is closed.

hafizshoaibali
Community Member

Hi team,

My Job success Rating was 100% till yesterday and today it drops down to 91%. I do not know why and i did not do any job i think since previous week then how it can imapct my Job success rating.

i would appreciate if this problem can be fixed.

salsham0065
Community Member

My Job Success score reduces after finishing a successful project with five stars feedback. I have done 17 projects and took 16 feedbacks with five stars. one of my past projects was canceled by the client because she gave up on the project. I saw a 97% job success score last week and now, after finishing another project with 5 stars feedback I saw 91%.

Is it normal or is this a mistake from upwork?

Thank anyone that answers me.  

Sal

The public feedback doesn't count much, if at all, towards your JSS. Private feedback is the most important, followed by the other formulas Upwork uses, such as the amount of money within a certain time frame and more.

It is unlikely it is a mistake. You mention a client "giving up," but you had a contract. You are top-rated, so I would put this behind you and focus on getting new jobs.

8c4acd30
Community Member

Hi,
So I just received my job success score that is 88% and I have only received 5 star feedbacks from clients and 1 client gave no feedback, so that should equate to 100% job success score, can someone help me regarding the same. Thanks!

Same thing happened to me, no one has been able to explain it honestly.

One of your clients must have left poor private feedback. You can't see it but it impacts your JSS. 

I see, I thought that the feedback that was displayed on my profile was the only factor. Thanks for helping me out!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members