cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Removing review after winning arbitrage

Ace Contributor
Alexander S Member Since: Mar 26, 2018
51 of 68

Thanks! I forgot about this nuance. If I don't get paid, at least both public and private reviews will be removed. Though it's still confusing why Upwork doesn't remove reviews (or at least is open to removing those reviews on demand) after banning a person for fraud.

Ace Contributor
52 of 68

I've just received an update saying my ability to withdraw funds will be blocked for up to 45 days while Upwork is disputing the chargeback. It's still beyond me why it is necessary to block all my money instead of $400...

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
53 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

I've just received an update saying my ability to withdraw funds will be blocked for up to 45 days while Upwork is disputing the chargeback. It's still beyond me why it is necessary to block all my money instead of $400...

Yeah, they need to fix that. Upwork, you should consider hiring better lawyers. 

Ace Contributor
54 of 68

I'm not even sure this particular issue has anything to do with laweyrs. For me it looks like 100% software issue: their software is not smart enough to block a specific amount of money, so they have to block the whole account.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
55 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

I'm not even sure this particular issue has anything to do with laweyrs. For me it looks like 100% software issue: their software is not smart enough to block a specific amount of money, so they have to block the whole account.

No, but what they could do would be manually send the rest to your designated bank account or withdrawal method - say if you had 1350 Dollars in your Upwork account and they wanted to snatch back the $ 400 they could manually disburse $ 950, while keeping your account suspended.

However, they don't do that, or at least I've not seen it...

Ace Contributor
56 of 68

Yeah, blocking a freelancer's account for 1.5 month for no good reason is just too much. I feel like American government workers: they did nothing wrong but someone decided to shut down the government, so they were not getting paid Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
57 of 68

I've received a notification saying Upwork won a chargeback for $400 that I was paid as a bonus upfront, so my account was unlocked I can withdraw money now. At the same time they're still fighting for a $3000 chargeback and it seems like bad news to me as the only reason for $3000 taking longer is that the client doesn't have enough money on his account. We discussed two relatively positive scenarios: I get no money and a review gets removed and I get all the money but the review will be still there (though likely not influencing jss due to client's account ban). Currently it looks like I might get stuck in between those two scenarios: get just a small portion of money and review is not removed

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
58 of 68

Alexander S wrote:

At the same time they're still fighting for a $3000 chargeback and it seems like bad news to me as the only reason for $3000 taking longer is that the client doesn't have enough money on his account.

Where do you get that idea from?

That has no effect on winning or losing a chargeback. Either the chargeback was justified or it was not.

Personally I would suspect that it takes longer because there is a third party involved (the arbitrators) and because it is a significantly higher sum of money - but that makes a win more likely (NOT certain) because the client made a legally binding commitment to abide by the arbitration outcome. Winning the first is a good sign.

Hang in there!!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
59 of 68

Chargeback and insufficient funds are two different things. One is fraud and the other one isn't. Kinda cool to see that Upwork fights chargebacks. I mean, I assumed they did but we only ever see when the freelancer loses.

Ace Contributor
60 of 68

What I meant by "not enough money" is a hypothetical situation like this:

1. A client depostis money on a debit card

2. He pays $400 as a bonus

3. Then he pays $3000 for the escrow

4. Then he charges back and withdraws most of the money (let's say, there's just $500 left)

5. Upwork convinces the bank they're right but there's enough money only for $400

6. I'm not sure what the bank is supposed to do in this case but I doubt they return their money and then deal with the client. I suppose they're trying to convince the client to deposit enough funds (though I doubt they would sue him for such a small amount of money). On the positive side, I'm happy it happened with the client from the US as in other countries I think my chances would be way lower.

Though it's just a hypothesis, there might be other reasons why it takes longer to fight for the larger portion of money.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS