🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Review period should 7 days instead of 14 day...
Page options
nurulamin19
Community Member

Review period should 7 days instead of 14 days.

I think review period should be 7 days instead of 14 days. Because some evil clients takes this opportunity and delays the release of payment unnecessarily. It is boaring for a worker. When a worker completes the job successfully his payment should not be delayed. One week is enough for reviewing a job. It is seen that the client (not all clients, but evil or indifferent clients) has found the job perfectly done. He reveives the result but does not release the payment. As a result the worker (freelancer) becomes the sufferer and he is bound to wait till the end of review time limit 14 days.

6 REPLIES 6
tlsanders
Community Member

MD. NURUL A wrote:

One week is enough for reviewing a job.

And you base this on your extensive experience as a client who is juggling other work responsibilities with reviewing the job and possibly needing to get input from someone else in the organization or an outside client? You're confident that every job submitted through Upwork can be quickly reviewed, and don't think things like platform testing or reviewing a 30,000 word book might require a bit of a time investment?

A client who lets the milestone auto-approve isn't "delaying" payment--he's just not paying you early. It's nice when a client pays you early, but the system is that you get paid in 14 days, unless the client intervenes to either request revisions or pay you early.

Out in the real world, I've had clients who paid monthly 30-45 days after submission of the invoice, so work I did in the first week of February would be billed on March 1 and paid between April 1 and April 15. 

Ok, thanks

kamran_developer
Community Member

Review Periode and Security Periode both are made to press the Freelancer underthe Shoe of Upwork by holding the Payment for useless periodes.

When a Freelancer work all his done work is already in the hand of Client, there is nothing in the hand of Freelancer in return.

After all the hard efforts Freelancer is always degraded by Upwork Rules, Policies and System by holding the Payment for 5 Days from Sunday to Friday, then Again Holding the Payment on the name of Security Periode from Friday to Wednesday if the Review Periode is ended then what is the need to hold it again on the fake rules and policy of Security Periode.

I know Upwork is not a Freelancer oriented company they do not have done anything good for Freelancers from whom they earn their money which they use to eat, and feed their family and wear the cloths.

If there is no Freelancer on Upwork and only Clients then both Upwork and Clients see their faces.

Muhammad Kamran K wrote:

Review Periode and Security Periode both are made to press the Freelancer underthe Shoe of Upwork by holding the Payment for useless periodes.

I agree that it seems a little unnecesary that Upwork continue to hold payment after the client (who is the one paying afterall) has told them to release the money, and i wont go into the whole Upwork (or their subsidary holding company) earning/not-earning interest debate.

However, it IS the terms that we have agreed to, and like said above - you try doing client work in the 'real world'! You will soon see 30 - 60 day waits after end of each invoice month (didnt quite get your invoice in for the 31st? you can now add another 30 days to that time!) so upworks waiting times, whilst dont seem neccesary are not actually that bad at all. 

Jon

thumbs down.

starrynightastro
Community Member

When I worked Elance, there was no five-day hold period after the client released the funds. There was a 30 day security period while the funds were in Escrow, but that wasn't a problem for me since I worked on projects that would take that long to complete. 

The problem is this. For many freelancers, the jobs here are below market value. For instance, the professional rate for freelance writing outside Upwork at the bottom tier for fiction writing is 7.5 cents per word and goes up from there. On Upwork, the rate has just edged up to 2 cents a word. Both pay tiers take just as long to produce the same work. When you are writing, there are no corners to cut to bring the job in faster.  There is a big difference between scoring a job at professional rates, and working at that level, turning in work regularly, and making that money stretch from one month to the next when you work professional rate. That is the difference. Many freelancers on Upwork need a quicker turnaround to make it viable. 

Look guys, I'm saying this for the company's good. I've been freelancing fiction for 8 years here. Right now, during the slowest period for securing work, I'm slammed by offers to bid at the rate of 10 per day or more for 2 cents a word. (This is NOT normal.)  I cannot take these jobs. My writing schedule is jammed packed through February at higher rates of pay and they are willing to wait to get on my schedule. They tell me they cannot find reliable freelancers. They ask me if I know people who can work for them, and I don't. The ones I'd recommend are too busy too. I kid you not. This not bragging. When so many potential clients get frustrated in securing freelancers to work for them, this is money that Upwork is losing. This tells me that freelancers who would work at lower rates have peeled away. 

Sometimes clients,  have life happen to them. Rarely, some are playing games. Some are too inexperienced in the market to know what it takes to keep and retain freelancers. 

Also, I would suggest a voluntary mentoring program matching top-rated freelancers to new ones to help the new ones succeed. Upwork would toss a few bucks to the top-rated freelancer for doing this. Or you could allow agency status without fees to allow a top-rated freelancer develop new talent as apprentices. Something like, give them 6 months to turn new freelancers into productive freelancers, and if the Top-Rated freelancer can't, they's lose agency status, or must start paying the fee. 

Upwork's problem from my perspective is that you don't have a problem securing new freelancers. You have a challenge in turning them into productive freelancers. 

My point is this. If you want to help clients get onboard with Upwork, then you need to help your freelancers make it viable to stay with Upwork.  Along with developing talent properly, these two different security periods are an impediment to retaining good freelancers. Revising that would make the company more profitable. 

If I didn't have two different income streams outside of Upwork. I couldn't stay here. 

Thanks,

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members