🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » SECRETS to Growing Your Upwork Sales
Page options
williamtcooper
Community Member

SECRETS to Growing Your Upwork Sales

I have been using Upwork for the last six years and have completed 480 Jobs and Earned $1,000,000 with 5-Star Reviews as a Marketing Sales Artificial Intelligence expert.

Upwork has changed their algorithm in 2023 and it's necessary to update your strategies accordingly especially if you want Invites and new clients. I had to change my strategy also and now received 200 Invites / Talent Scouts / Consultations in the first two months of 2023.

PROFILE: Always complete your Upwork Profile before applying for Jobs. Create a synergized Title, Summary, and Skills to apply for Jobs to match what Clients are searching for. Focus on two of the Skill keywords in the Title to emphasize what you bring to the table for the Client. Create 4 short paragraphs in the Summary. If the Summary is too long, most Clients will not read the rest of the Summary; too short then there isn't enough information for a Client to hire. The first two sentences of the Summary are the most important because they are visible to the client as they search for a freelancer. Use all 15 Skills IF they apply. The Skills are used to assist a Client in locating your Profile via search. Add your Portfolio and always use a colorful image. Consider adding a Project Catalog if it applies. Use a short sentence description for each Employment entry. By the way, it goes without saying make sure that your Profile Settings are on Public not Private so others can view the Profile.

COVER LETTER: Create a flexible cover letter that is less than 100 words. Long cover letters rarely get read, but instead are ignored. Break the cover letter into four sections. Section 1 : Acknowledge the job that you are applying for such as "Looking forward to discussing your graphics design project". Section 2: Highlight your validations stamps IE skills that are brought to their project. Section 3 Explain how you will solve their problem and the final section request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

JOB SUBMISSIONS: Tips - Only apply to Jobs that you are highly qualified, don't Bid for the top 3 spots unless you are an exact match and have a high probability of getting the job, don't immediately apply for jobs, but instead wait at least a few hours so your bidding is more accurate, don't get into bidding wars because serious Clients will view most applicant's cover letters, don't apply for Jobs that have 20 - 50 applicants in less than 24 hours. If a Client gets 50 cover letters, there is only a 2% chance of being hired; bad odds. I set my freelancer sort to apply for jobs with less than 20 proposals.

OVER DELIVER: Always over-deliver based upon the Client's expectations. Do such outstanding work that the Client can't but help to give 5-Stars and a raving Review. Great Reviews have most Client's sold on hiring a Freelancer before even talking with them. I can't mention the number of Clients that started their interactions with me about how they couldn't wait to start working together on their project based upon my Reviews. After 320 Upwork Jobs, I have maintained 99% 5-Star Reviews and only 1% 4-Star Reviews which continues to draw in more clients.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Use your social media footprint to promote your Upwork Profile especially LinkedIn. Create a Post on LinkedIn highlighting your Upwork Profile containing a link back so prospects can review. Small businesses that I want to begin a business relationship with are better served on Upwork due to the Upwork's system and billing. I have 2.5 million very engaged LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter Followers. They are a great source to promote my profile on Upwork.

HELP OTHERS: Always uplift, encourage and love other users on Upwork. Remember everyone has to start somewhere as you did. Others helped you along the way, so assist users that have questions.

THANKS UPWORK: Thanks Upwork for being a blessing to me on this site and I hope to do so for others!

ENJOYED THE POST: Let me know with a message below. Everyone needs to be encouraged!

This is a recently written Post with Upwork's Financial Results and Forecasts for 2023 at:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Upwork-s-Financial-Results-and-Forecasts-for-2023/m-p/1...

This is a recently written Post with the SECRETS to hiring freelancers on Upwork at:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/SECRETS-to-Growing-Your-Business-On-Upwork/m-p/1235553#M8984...

tech141.jpg

214 REPLIES 214

William,
You quit without answering or admitting unwillingness or inability to answer my 3 questions.
Well, this is itself an answer.
No more to say.
Likewise — have a great day!

kanishka0605
Community Member

Can you please check my profile how it looks now

Hi Kanishka,

Please start closing completed "In Progress" jobs to less than 10 otherwise you appear TOO busy for new clients. Consider changing the Consultation fee to $20 for thirty minutes. Use only two keyword phrases in the Title and shorten the Summary into four short paragraphs. Thanks!

pysoft0
Community Member

Thank you for providing such valuable information. I have been trying to rank my profile for a long time but still have not received a single invitation. 

Ali,

Please feel free to make the changes according to the Post, let me know, and I will review your Profile. Thanks!

hibiscus1000
Community Member

Hi William,

Thank you for sharing some very helpful information! I'm curious about your comment that Upwork changed it's algorithm in 2023. I've noticed a big difference in the results I'm getting this year. I have also seen a lot of this same feedback from many other freelancers. How did this change affect the differences we've seen?

Hi Joyce,

Please follow the instructions above which I have seen work for so many freelancers. Thanks!

ec069c0a
Community Member

Thanks again William for those insights.

PS: thanks to one of your other posts, with the in-demand skills, I reviewed my profile and I put more of the in-demand keywords and phrasing.

Also I did some keywork research with my Upwork CLIENT account (not my other freelancer account).

With Upwork Client account, searching freelancers via keywords, we see the range of tariffs of the freelancers. 

I see it as a (rough) indicator of the vivacity of that market/keyword.

See attachet file.

Fun fact: My skill is about workflow automation, process automation -> and it seems that plural or singular keywords influence pricing!

PROCESSES seems better paid than PROCESS.

But sometimes the skill named in Singular is better paid than in Plural form.

So my suggestion to everybody is (if feasible):

Get a Client upwork account, and measure the keywords!

Best regards,

Louis

hadisur_rahman
Community Member

Hi

Same here, As a Top Rated Plus, not getting an invitation, seems it's really hard now. Would you like to have a look at my profile and what changes should I need to do, please? 

Hi Hadisur,

Please follow the Title and Summary instructions above. Also consider changing your Earnings to Public so clients can see the size of orders you handle. Thanks!

6aa26701
Community Member

Good day William

Thank you so much for this post - it was so useful to me as a new Upworker that is yet to get off the mark. Thank you for being willing to share advice that will surely benefit so many Upworkers going forward. 

Sarie,

You are welcome and have an amazing day!

b0072e10
Community Member

Thank you William for this wonderful article and unique information. I am also new to upwork and can't wait to get my first job. I hope my profile will catch someone's attention. Although I have applied for many jobs, I have never even received a profile view. I continue to wait patiently. I hope I will get through the short process until I get my first job.

Ercan,

Glad you liked the article and have a great day!

9744021f
Community Member

Great William. I would love be in touch over Linkedin.

thanks!

Hafiza,

Glad you enjoyed the post. Have a great day!

nadiastukalina
Community Member

William, thank you for such a detailed review and life hacks! You have invested a lot of effort and analysis, it is simply priceless that you share this! I wish you good luck and good career advancement to everyone reading this post and comments!

Nadia, you are most welcome and have a great day!

528941dd
Community Member

Thank you for this post 

Abode, thanks for your kind words and have an amazing day!

b120e479
Community Member

Hi William,

Would review  my profile, when you get some time?  Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Amena,

Please use two of your Skill keywords in the Title and modify the Employment descriptions into one short sentence each.

Search for Upwork's 2023 in-demand skills and consider upgrading to more in-demand skills. You are currently in a highly competitive and dropping demand category.

Thank you William!!! I appreciate your help .

2e6008a1
Community Member

Hi Willliam,

I'm also new to this Upwork please share your feedback about my profile. Here is this link https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/dataanalyticsexpert

Thanks,
Suleman

Hi Muhammad,

Please modify the Summary into four short paragraphs and modify the Employment descriptions into one short sentence each. Thanks!

foraoneservices
Community Member

Hi William,

I need your help, could you recommend anyone who makes top grade SEO customized websites, I have need for a reliable person.

Bharti S

Hi Bharti,

Please do an Upwork search and interview a few freelancers that have many outstanding Reviews and a great Portfolio to showcase.

1d168948
Community Member

to the point, this is awesome

3c4349d8
Community Member

Thanks William. Great tips, thank you for sharing! And inspiring journey acheived financially. 

Harinder,

You are most welcome and have a great day!

452e5f4b
Community Member

Great article William, thanks for the tips.  Very impressed by your success on the platform.

Any feedback would be appreciated - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/jannareddig 

Also, any tips on creating projects, fixed price approaches, and generally how to keep "Top Rated Plus" status would be appreciated.   

Hi Janna,

Please use two Skills in the Title and reformat the Summary into four paragraphs with a big focus on the first sentence which is shown in Client search.

Ok great, I wrote those as next steps so will action today. 

Can you elaborate a bit more on what is shown in client search?  Do you just mean the title or both?

452e5f4b
Community Member

I had watched some Upwork Help Videos on optimizations, and they said to focus the profile on the need/project vs. a bio, hence my format.  What are your thoughts on this?  I do think maybe one is better for long term contracts than the other

The Profile can't change for each Project; that is the Cover Letter that needs to be flexible.

ramintat
Community Member

Hello, William T C, I tried to update the profile according to your advices, but the result was the opposite - after updating the profile, the profile views and invites simply disappeared. I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at my profile, maybe you have some tips? Thank you in advance! https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/tramintat

Raminta,

Write four compelling paragraphs for the Summary with a focus on the first sentence since it appears in client search, use all 15 Skills, add a Project Catalog, and close completed Jobs.

Thank you so much!

9e7dbfdb
Community Member

Hlw William, Nice explanation. I have a few questions to you.

1. How i grow my upwork profile? like more visitors in my profile.

2. For the cover letter do you have any example temple? or can you provide an example?

Rahib,

Please click the Academy link on the top of the page for additional success tips.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members