🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam from ****
Page options
4c9e63e9
Community Member

Scam from ****

I was sent an email telling me to text someone through Telegram to start a freelance work, offering a very good salary for a data entry job. Just to convert some docs, retype some information and that was it. When I completed all the work, that I sent it to the email they told me to, they replied the email asking me to provide more information about me (such a photo, full name, ID) and to pay a $50 USD "refundable acccount linking fee", when I saw that I knew I got scammed, I asked them and they started to insult me. So guys, please be careful in this platform. 

These are the scammers:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
d26d5d29
Community Member

Never connect outside of UW.

sofia2008
Community Member

Here is one simple basic rule : Never communitate outside Upwork before having a contract in place on Upwork. This is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service

Please make sure to learn more about Upwork before using it. Here are some ressources Academy - Upwork Community and you can look at the Terms of Service at the bottom of the page.

Thank you Sophie A, Will stick to that going forward.

NikolaS

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
3c7ef287
Community Member

I'm Ini, I was asked via email to link in telegram, they sent some files to be typed and convert to pdf. I also been asked to pay refundable fee, once I paid they are not responding. I done work to company named **Edited for Community Guidelines**. and they just asked a selfie photo and my account details. Now they are not responding. I have been waiting for 2days what am I supposed to do

The company was not named **Edited for Community Guidelines**, it was a scam. There was no real job and they aren't going to use your work; they just want to steal your money. You're not allowed to form contracts off of Upwork, get paid off of Upwork, or contact clients before you have an official job offer in place. 

I suggest that you click on the "Academy" link at the top of this page and go through all of the materials about how to use Upwork, then create a better profile overview that has a proper photo of you, and that isn't full of mistakes. There's no chance of being hired by a real client if you don't know what you're doing.

81def419
Community Member

So this one is almost a year old. They scammed me yesterday. the same **Edited for Community Guidelines**mail!!!  I received your alert just when I sent my first job copywriting 30 pages for $1050

03425e13
Community Member

Hi Nikola, I would just like to report that one of your job seekers by the name of Mateo Fransisco is a scam artist. 

Hi Mario,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. I shared your report with our team to investigate and take action based on our internal processes. In the future, feel free to use the 'Flag as Inappropriate' option throughout the site to report any suspicious activity.

- Pradeep

Upwork
8efd15d0
Community Member

i got scammed i want to leave this platform

how

d9fc6d8d
Community Member

When you join Upwork, you have two options:

1. Learn how the platform works and what the best practices are BEFORE submitting proposals.

2. Don't learn how the platform works and what the best practices are BEFORE submitting proposals and risk getting scammed.

You obviously picked option number 2. That's all on you.

a1ee267e
Community Member

Hi, I also get a message from the posting job that i apply that i message there in telegram is this a scam?

All communication must start in Upwork until the contract starts. Never communicate outside UW even if you get a message from the employer of the job offer that was posted.

mbcapit
Community Member

Thank you! I almost got scammed but I search for its legitimacy and I found your post,so I decline right away and block it from my telegram.

zyn23
Community Member

Hi! I'm having the same experience with you right now.  I was given a telegram link then I got curious and googled the legitimacy of the job and found out that it's a scam.  I just wasted my 8 connects.

You don't need to Google anything, you need to learn and follow the rules.

If you contact Upwork, and let them know it was a scam, your connects will be returned, if you did not participate.

You can't communicate or do anything with a potential client outside of Upwork, before an Upwork contract is in place.

0db65b6a
Community Member

Greetings 

I almost got scammed but I search for its legitimacy and I found this post, 

they ask an easy job with very High salary, replied the email asking me to provide more information about me (such a photo, full name, ID) and to pay a $50 USD "refundable acccount linking fee. 

This is insane

was contacted via Telegram by some**Edited for Community Guidelines** with profile photo that looks like Chris Evans.

They are using this email: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

telegram link:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Be careful 

jmorales_reyes
Community Member

I applied to two jobs a few minutes ago and I got back links to Telegram communications.  I guess both are possible scams. Is there a way to recover my connects?

  

Yes. Flag it as rules violation. If it will be deleted by Upwork then your connects will be refunded.

14f3461e
Community Member

Same thing happened with me but asked me 33$

a9c76d59
Community Member

They asked me to purchase **Edited for Community Guidelines** library card 

Hello Anjali! Did they ask you for $50 too?

No, they asked me for $40 

Did you get your payment?

e7b71935
Community Member

i have same proplem and this is my chat with him 😂

You also violated Upwork's Terms of Service simply by communicating with this person away from Upwork and even considering their job (which doesn't exist).  Just don't do it again - otherwise your account will be suspended.  You should also read up about data entry jobs on the internet; when a client's budget for this sort of work is suspiciously high, you can be 99% sure that it's a scam. 

sure, 

and i hope that UPWORK community try to do control about that kind of scum post , because now it's out of your control and waste a lot of our time which is cost of money.

As Nichola has already warned you, and you apparently see no reason to follow the rules, expect to be scammed and never have a legitimate job. Have you read the Terms of Service? If you have, why are you violating them? And yes, you can not only lose money, but your Upwork account as well.

It is completely under your control whether you break the rules. And whether you decide to blame others for your mistakes. It's also in your control to understand what you are doing in self-employment. You wasted time, and money, and connects, and broke a major rule, not the community, and not Upwork.

If you are not prepared to spend a lot of time, effort, money, and proposals, freelancing will not work through this platform.

With this for your complete profile, you will only be scammed. As a photographer, can't you figure out a way to have a photo of yourself? You will never be verified with that.

"i love Food and product photography and create new shoot to let the customer to love the product and fell about the food ." 

This is a blazing advertisement to the scammers, because they can tell you haven't read the rules and aren't going to, either. You're a photographer without a single photo for your portfolio?

If you have genuine, marketable skills, read the Terms of Service, and follow them. Then go through the Academy courses, every single one, and read the threads on scams. Then create a profile and a portfolio, and then and only then should you even look at jobs. It's your choice.
naveed_bazai
Community Member

They posted a content writing job, after submitting proposal they accepted mine and told me this

and after contacting him i was told this "We are offering typing project We have 80 already written images  that we need you to work on by (Retyping) typing them into one single pdf Per image cost ($50) total payment for the 20 images ($1,000USD) These images are English text book pages we just need the first 20 pages in pdf

Please be carefull and dont even contact client outside UPWORK

Hi Muhammad. Thanks for your comment. This happened with me too. He said "we pay 40$ per image and total images 30. You must complete 20 pages in a 3 days and pls submit this email if you finish your work." So i think i must stop my retyping job now. I already retyped 12 pages.

-Muhammadali

Yes, stop immediately. Report to Upwork.

Read this post and follow every link. Pay close attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags on Scams. With your nearly empty profile, you will only find scammers. You need to decide what your marketable skills are, and get rid of everything else. Your title is a mash-up of five things. If you have marketable skills in Python, etc., then drop the writing, and definitely get rid of typing. There are very few legitimate typing jobs. You can transfer files and change them into any format with a touch of a key.

Rewrite your introduction. The client only sees the first line, so you must tell potential clients how you can do the job better than anyone else. Do not brag. For example, "I will use my skills learned over five years to create a new widget that will replace the current one, and increase your profit margin."

Before you even look at jobs, read and use the post. If you don't have marketable, skills money to run the business, motivation, time, patience, and again, marketable skills, you will fail here. I tell you that not to be insulting, but to inform you of the facts. It's up to you if you continue to try to freelance, and if you are safe. No one, including Upwork, will protect you.

965746e1
Community Member

I too got scammed just now, they have sent a document to type, i have completed the work and then sent to the  **Edited for Community Guidelines** mail id, after the submission they asked me to pay 70$ refundable deposit, i said I don't have that much money, at that point itself the person who was talking to me on telegram deleted the chat history and left the chat, this is a 100% scam, i wasted my precious time on those things, be careful all of you 

It's responsibility of respected admin of Upwork to do something to
restrict such kind of scammers. Only Admin can stop.

No, it's the freelancers' responsibility to follow the terms of service that we all agreed to when we signed up. You wouldn't fall for this scam if you didn't contact the client outside of Upwork and agree to be paid outside of Upwork.

Upwork administrators can not stop scams.

Scams are caused by freelancers.

Only freelancers can stop scams.

Scammers come here to earn money.

They can only earn money here when freelancers participate in their scams.

If freelancers follow the rules and use best practices, then there will be no scams.

f6c437a1
Community Member

i knew it! i have the same encounter. I asked them for more information about thei legitimacy and they won't provide me. They told me to why would i work with someone i don't trust.

You cannot work on Upwork until you are 18 years old.

845ddc9f
Community Member

 gottem for you too 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members