cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers on Upwork

Willard H Member Since: Dec 19, 2018
141 of 145
I agree with you about the trustworthiness of Upwork's job posters. Sad. Here is my story. 
I hope it can help someone else.

I was warned about Upwork and their low-paying jobs but I needed money and I had made $16 on one very
brief job so I accepted two more jobs. The first one was for a client named **edited for Community Guidelines** who had m
e post some ads on Craigslist. The only problem was they all got deleted by CL and the client ended the
contract. I thought about it after some time and decided to ask for payment anyway since I had done
the job and due to no fault of mine the ads were deleted. I must say at this point that I had fallen
for some previous scams on CL and had experienced deleted ads so I thought knew what CL would
accept. I racked my brain and couldn't figure this one out. The end result was that **edited for Community Guidelines** refused
to even reply to my emails and the Upwork "support" staff wouldn't lift a finger to help. The second Upwork.com client, a **edited for Community Guidelines** of **edited for Community Guidelines**, wanted me to post some ads on
CL-type sites and write two brief marketing articles for him. I posted the ads on CL and AdLandpro.
I researched and wrote the articles. He liked my work. The problem was that he had verbally asked
me to do these things for $50 to which I verbally agreed. But then he wrote the contract for $20/hr
which is my posted rate and a limit of 5 hours per week. I was pretty new to Upwork and though that
Alex had changed his mind about the pay structure. I spent about 15 hours completing the tasks which
was my fault. And when I filled out the time sheet I put down something a total of something like
7.2 hours. I had tried to add more than 2.2 in the first week since I had worked some 15 hours total
but it wouldn't let me do that so I left it at 2.2. I didn't realize that I could have put in 5
hours for the first week. And when I asked Upwork "support" about getting more pay they said that
since the contract was still open in the second week I could add hours. So I added the maximum of
5 hours for the second week. And I sent multiple emails and messages to Alex asking for more pay
for the 15 hours that I had actually worked. He only responded to say that he felt cheated since
we had verbally agreed to $50 and a 5 hour weekly limit. I was going to contact Upwork "support",
and I use the term "support" loosely, but **edited for Community Guidelines** had already complained about my request for more
money. Ultimately, after many emails and much evidence showing that he had changed the contract
and wasn't going to pay me my fair share, the "support" team sided with him and I received a
whopping total of $40 for my 15 hours of hard work. Needless to say I was pissed off! I sincerely
hope that no one else falls for scams like these. Beware!
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
142 of 145

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Willard. 

Seeing as you are new here, I would recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, paying close attention to the "Safety First!" section, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely on Upwork. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
143 of 145

I had a few scam approaches in the very beginning, but I never get them now. I assume they were choosing newcomers most of the time, hoping they (we) didn't know the ropes yet.

After about six months on the platform, I think (and with a bunch of jobs showing on my profile), I stopped receiving any at all.

Ryan A Member Since: Jan 22, 2019
144 of 145

Upwork has been protecting and purposefully shields bad or scammy Freelancers. If you notice they allow Freelancers to remove negative feedback (Client Feedback is everything before I hire someone) so Upwork is complicit in the hiding of their Freelancers malicious intent. 

I am currently in a dispute (have been for 2 weeks and Upwork refuses to Freeze the Freelancers account) the Freelancer has refused to hand over source code for a project I have "already paid for" as the developer sits on his thumbs and disappears for days on end. Meanwhile my business is losing thousands a day as our app is crashed and unworkable for our users. The developer literally went into our server after the fact and maliciously messed around with the database. Upwork, is allowing this person to continue working with other oblivious clients and victimize them as well.

We are currently in a dispute but they keep giving the Freelancer more time (he just ignores everything in the dispute) while my business is the one that suffers. 

It is absolutely horrid that Upwork is complicit in the malicious intent of their Freelancers. If there are any words of wisdom I can offer any of you, it is - don't trust a Freelancer with anything. Ensure that they are very well vetted and do not give any money for anything until you have someone in your local area look over the work. Also be aware of Upwork's unwillingness to really help Clients when it comes to Freelancer issues - in fact if you need to settle an issue they will keep the Freelancer's profile open and then charge you almsot $300 for aribitration costs. 

Buyer beware.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
145 of 145

re: "I am currently in a dispute (have been for 2 weeks and Upwork refuses to Freeze the Freelancers account) the Freelancer has refused to hand over source code for a project I have "already paid for" as the developer sits on his thumbs and disappears for days on end. Meanwhile my business is losing thousands a day as our app is crashed and unworkable for our users. The developer literally went into our server after the fact and maliciously messed around with the database..."

Ryan:

I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with a freelancer you hired on Upwork.

But it is important to undestand that disputes don't build apps.

Disputes don't fix apps.

There is really no reason ever for a client to file a dispute.

Disputes are filed by freelancers when they submit work, and a client refuses to release payment for that work.

So disputes are really only useful for freelancers.

As a client, you can fire a freelancer AT ANY TIME. You don't need to "file a dispute."

If you are a client and one of the freelancers working for you is not valuable to your project, then the proper thing to do is to stop working with that freelancer and only continue working with the freelancers who are most valuable to you. Or hire new freelancers if necessary.

If your business is "losing thousands a day as our app is crashed and unworkable for our users"... Then obviously your focus should be on fixing the app and restoring the ability of your business to earn that money. Your focus should not be placed on one member of your team who you should have already fired by now.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS