๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Seeking tips on how to make Upwork profile mo...
Page options
Amir A Community Member

Seeking tips on how to make Upwork profile more attractive.

Hey freelancers,

I'm struggling to get hired on Upwork despite my best efforts. Can you please provide some advice on how to make my profile more attractive to potential clients? If someone could take a quick look at my profile and provide some feedback on what I can improve, I would be extremely grateful.

Here are some specific points I'm hoping to get advice on:

• How can I optimize my profile to better showcase my skills and experience?
  • What kind of work samples should I include on my profile, and how many?
  • Should I change my profile picture or summary to make it more appealing to clients?
  • Are there any keywords or phrases I should include in my profile to make it easier for clients to find me?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could take a moment to review my profile and provide some feedback. 

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Julie J Community Member

Profile photo should be of your face from the shoulders up, looking friendly.  Not a passport type photo.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Mykola A Community Member

Your profile is good. I see no critical issues there.

Amir A Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how I can make my profile more eye-catching and attention-grabbing to potential clients. Any suggestions or tips on how to showcase my skills and experience in a more effective way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help!

Julie J Community Member

Profile photo should be of your face from the shoulders up, looking friendly.  Not a passport type photo.

Amir A Community Member

Thank you for your feedback on profile photos. I agree that having a friendly headshot of oneself from the shoulders up is important for creating a positive first impression. Could you please share any additional tips or advice for choosing an effective profile photo that will help me stand out and make a strong impression on potential clients? Thank you for your time and insights!

William T C Community Member

Amir,

I have been using Upwork for the last five years and have completed 340 Jobs and Earned $900k with 5-Star Reviews as a Marketing and Sales expert.

Upwork has changed their algorithm in 2023 and it's necessary to update your strategies accordingly especially if you want Invites and new clients. I had to change my strategy also and now received 200 Invites / Talent Scouts / Consultations in the first two months of 2023.

PROFILE: Always complete your Upwork Profile before applying for Jobs. Create a synergized Title, Summary, and Skills to apply for Jobs to match what Clients are searching for. Use one or two of the Skill keywords in the Title to emphasize what you bring to the table for the Client. Create 4 short paragraphs in the Summary. If the Summary is too long, most Clients will not read the rest of the Summary; too short then there isn't enough information for a Client to hire. The first two sentences of the Summary are the most important because they are visible to the client as they search for a freelancer. Use all 15 Skills IF they apply. The Skills are used to assist a Client in locating your Profile via search. Add your Portfolio and always use a colorful image. Consider adding a Project Catalog if it applies. Use a short sentence description for each Employment entry. By the way, it goes without saying make sure that your Profile Settings are on Public not Private so others can view the Profile.

COVER LETTER: Create a flexible cover letter that is less than 100 words. Long cover letters rarely get read, but instead are ignored. Break the cover letter into four sections. Section 1 : Acknowledge the job that you are applying for such as "Looking forward to discussing your graphics design project". Section 2: Highlight your validations stamps IE skills that are brought to their project. Section 3 Explain how you will solve their problem and the final section request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

JOB SUBMISSIONS: Tips - Only apply to Jobs that you are highly qualified, don't Bid for the top 3 spots unless you are an exact match and have a high probability of getting the job, don't immediately apply for jobs, but instead wait at least a few hours so your bidding is more accurate, don't get into bidding wars because serious Clients will view most applicant's cover letters, don't apply for Jobs that have 20 - 50 applicants in less than 24 hours. If a Client gets 50 cover letters, there is only a 2% chance of being hired; bad odds. I set my freelancer sort to apply for jobs with less than 20 proposals.

Amir A Community Member

Hello I appreciate you sharing your tips on optimizing a freelancer's Upwork profile. As someone who has been using Upwork for some time, I understand the importance of adapting to changes in the algorithm to increase my chances of getting new clients. Your advice on completing my profile and creating a flexible cover letter with a clear structure is particularly helpful. I also agree that it's important to only apply to jobs where I'm highly qualified and to avoid getting into bidding wars. Thank you for sharing your insights!

William T C Community Member

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Have a wonderful weekend!

Amir A Community Member

Thank you for your kind offer.  I appreciate ๐Ÿ‘ your willingness to assist and hope you have a great weekend as well๐Ÿ™ .

Jeanne H Community Member

Your profile needs work, and you need to go through the Academy information and check the Upwork help for profiles.

To begin, your photo needs to be changed to one with an empty background and so your face is clear. Your introduction needs to be rewritten. No client is going to read through that list. The help you need is at the Academy, because you have more work to do than there is time to write here. There is no portfolio; with a "team" of people, no one has any work to show? Educate yourself on how to use the platform.

If you have not, read the Terms of Service and everything in Upwork rules. Then read this from Wes.

Because you are new and have not gone through the rules, you are at high risk of being scammed. No one, including Upwork will protect you, if you don't strictly follow the Terms.

Amir A Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile and provide feedback. I appreciate your suggestions for improvement, and I will definitely take them into consideration. I agree that my profile needs work, and I will go through the Academy information and check the Upwork help for profiles to learn more about how to optimize it. I will change my profile photo to one with an empty background and rewrite my introduction to make it more concise and engaging.

Regarding the portfolio, I understand your point, and I will work on building a portfolio with my team's past work. I have read the Terms of Service and Upwork rules, and I will make sure to strictly follow them to protect myself from potential scams.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and guidance. I'm committed to improving my profile and using the Upwork platform effectively.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members