Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall I accept a new offer?

weerap
Ace Contributor
Weera P Member Since: Sep 11, 2013
1 of 13

Hi,

Because the client don't have any new task but would like to create new contract. First contract with this client has not end but almost all tasks are done.

What will happen if I do not accept the contract and then it is expired? Will you decrease my JS?

Thanks,

Weera

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

If the money is in escrow, you will get paid.

If you used tracker for the previous gigs, you will get paid.

Anything else, and you're not getting paid.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 13

@Weera P wrote:

Because the client don't have any new task but would like to create new contract. First contract with this client has not end but almost all tasks are done.

Why would the client want to create a new contract whe 1) the work on the old one isn't done, and 2) he has no task for the new one?

Declining an offer for a new contract will not lower your JSS, but I would suggest you discuss this with your client first.

weerap
Ace Contributor
4 of 13

Hi,

In order to solve this, It is very simple just decline Offer. The client will end the current contract soon. I can make a decision after the current contract has been ended.

Client is new and know nothing about the JS. I can't force client to read this or do that, Client seems very busy. For now what I can do is just awaiting untill the current contract has been ended then make a new decision. I hope it won't be expired before.

Thanks,

Weera

cbsolz
Ace Contributor
Vadivelan R Member Since: Aug 28, 2015
5 of 13

I don't have any proofs. But below is what my opinion.

Their algorithm work based on signals. There are lot of signals being generated within Upwork, they won't waste any signal and make use of it to its full potential. "Eagerness" to do the jobs might be one of that signal.  By not responding to invitations / by declining, you might be sending wrong "eagerness" signal to their algorithm.  

If you do this often, it may think that you are not eager to accept new jobs. But there are countless of other signals, so it is not that simple.

weerap
Ace Contributor
6 of 13

Hi Vadivelan R,

Where have you been!. You just point out the interesting thing. Yes, you're correct.

Weera

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 13

Hi Vadivelan and Weera,

I can confirm that declining an invitation will not affect your Job Success Score negatively. In fact, responding to an invitation by either accepting or declining in less than 24 hours will count positively for your Responsiveness score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
weerap
Ace Contributor
8 of 13

Hi ,

Thanks, It seems like we're talking about the side effects for those two actions accept or decline offer. If I accept the offer and then client will assign me something that I am not able to do.  What will happen? Something that you never know in advance.

I feel reluctant to ask client more than once, something is not predictable or Client still don't know what he need to be done in future. If client don't have new task. With the client, I believe that there's will be more tasks to do following but just don't know what.

Never mind, I thought that I have already lost the Responsiveness score, For now, Sometime has been passed more than 24 HRs.

Actually, As I already said that this is very simple to figure out. In the same situation, I don't want to bother my cleint with this minor problem.

I can wait untill the curent contract has been closed then make a decision and discussing with the client.

Other thing. I don't know when client will end the contract with successful and move to next tasks or new contract.

Hopefully, if client is about to close the contract and he should tell me before that action so that I have a chance to inform him to end it as successful.

Thanks,

Weera

tj1972
Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
9 of 13

@Valeria K

Hi Valeria,

I have a question.

Wha if I will not respond to offer - i.e. neither accepting the contract nor declining? Does it affect JSS?

Reason asking is recently my old client sent an offer for very small job. But later (even before I saw the offer) he found solution to his problem and we did not go for that tiny job.

I assumed that he would cancel the offer and I did not follow that. But after 2 weeks or so (don't remember how long the offer is valid) got notification that offer expired (i.e. neither client nor I closed that). 

The outcome is that after that my JSS from 90+ something decreased to 89. 

Is this not responding to the offer is a cause of that my JSS decrease? 

Thanks

vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 13

Hi Tamaz,

We encourage freelancers to follow up quickly on job offers, whether to send a message, accept or decline.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS