🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Some issue with client in message
Page options
nahidhasan771
Community Member

Some issue with client in message

Hi All

1. I am a designer so the client messaged me and gave me a link to his website and said he needs a logo designed for this website. He may have his contact information on that website. Of course I won't contact him using them because the deal hasn't started yet. Now the question is whether he should have given the link to this website? Because the contract has not started yet. Will this affect his and my profile?

2. Would it be a problem if I make a video (unlisted youtube link) and show the client how I do my work? Of course I will not share any of my contact information in that video. Because the contract hasn't started yet. 

Thanks 🙂 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Member

Regarding contact info on the client's website, that isn't an issue.

Regarding the video, Upwork Messages allows you to do Loom recordings.

My question is, why does the Client need you to show them your process? They are hiring you to make some files, not to teach them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Member

Regarding contact info on the client's website, that isn't an issue.

Regarding the video, Upwork Messages allows you to do Loom recordings.

My question is, why does the Client need you to show them your process? They are hiring you to make some files, not to teach them.

Re: My question is, why does the Client need you to show them your process?

What do I do if the client wants to see? Anyway thank you very much Jonathan.

If a client hires you with an hourly contract, it is perfectly reasonable for him to ask you to make a video. If you know how to make a video showing your process, then go ahead and do it. Log time while doing it.

But you don't have to if you don't know how to make a video. Or if you don't want to. You can tell the client that it is not a service that you provide.

Personally, I have no problem with a client hiring me with an hourly contract and asking me to teach him my techniques or let him watch live, or write up instructions, etc.

But a client should ask before hiring the freelancer. If the client doesn't specify this part of the job before hiring, then the client needs to be understanding if a freelancer says no.

For a fixed-price job: A client may NOT hire a freelancer to do design work and then ask for a video on top of that. This is asking for free work. This is a violation of Upwork TOS.

If a client did that to me, I would politely explain that such a request is a violation of Upwork TOS, and I can't do it. But I would offer to finish the current fixed-price contract and then do a new hourly contract. Or I would give the client the option to release remaining escrow money immediately and start a new hourly contract immediately, and the hourly contract could be used for simultaneously doing design work and creating videos or training the client.

Thank you so much. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members