🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Sooo... you don't get free connects anymore?
Page options
iartamendi
Community Member

Sooo... you don't get free connects anymore?

Hi all.

I consumed all my connects already (and it was not even a busy month). In the past, connects tended to regenerate over time, each month or so. I had never trouble working with that amount of free connects.

I have been at 0 connects for a month now and it doesn't look like I'm going to get more connects unless I pay this already ridiculously overpriced platform.

Is this correct? Free connects no more?

😞

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r
Community Member

Inigo A wrote:

Correct.

Lol... then, what on Earth are you still doing around here, people?

Inigo A wrote:

making lots of money.

Your point is?

My point being that paying to make money had a name back in the day. Besides. I find difficult to make lots of money when I have to give a fifth of it to the Sheriff. Maybe I'm just not talented enough...

Inigo A wrote:
My point being that paying to make money had a name back in the day. Besides. I find difficult to make lots of money when I have to give a fifth of it to the Sheriff. Maybe I'm just not talented enough...

Yeah, if you're giving a fifth of your earnings to Upwork, the site isn't a good fit for you at all. I've given Upwork about 9.5% of my earnings, which is a money-maker for me given all the time they save me.

Inigo A wrote:

I'm here to pooppost.

Inigo A wrote:

Making lots of money. Isn't that what everyone is here for?

colettelewis
Community Member

Inigo A wrote:

Hi all.

I consumed all my connects already (and it was not even a busy month). In the past, connects tended to regenerate over time, each month or so. I had never trouble working with that amount of free connects.

I have been at 0 connects for a month now and it doesn't look like I'm going to get more connects unless I pay this already ridiculously overpriced platform.

😞

Have a look here:https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Use-Connects and you can also check the announcements page for frequently asked questions. 

Upwork is now making client pays something like $15 or $20 to post a job(so I have been told).

I think many of my clients have become unhappy with this.

That would explain the dearth of acceptable projects lately...

Frankly, I'm leaving for good.

Some people say that Upwork is not affecting them, but is not affecting them right now; recently one of my main clients just moved to a different platform just because he had enough of paying so much money to Upwork while using the same team of freelancers that he has been using since a couple of years. My prediction is that Upwork will be a place for big companies to hire real cheap work. Clients are using a lot of money and that will make him choose freelancers who charged less. Plus, you need to give the 20% to Upwork. It seems the platform is not following the comments in other forums where you can find what clients are saying about the changes. 

Cesar P wrote:

Some people say that Upwork is not affecting them, but is not affecting them right now; recently one of my main clients just moved to a different platform just because he had enough of paying so much money to Upwork while using the same team of freelancers that he has been using since a couple of years. My prediction is that Upwork will be a place for big companies to hire real cheap work. Clients are using a lot of money and that will make him choose freelancers who charged less. Plus, you need to give the 20% to Upwork. It seems the platform is not following the comments in other forums where you can find what clients are saying about the changes. 

That is interesting in view of the fact that clients don't pay anything to Upwork while using the same team of freelancers they've been using except a small payment processing fee similar to what any credit card processor or site like PayPal would charge.

Inigo A wrote:

That would explain the dearth of acceptable projects lately...

Frankly, I'm leaving for good.

Well before you leave, try this: Up your hourly rate to at least $40 per hour. PhD and you're asking $15.OO per hour? I wouldn't get out of bed for that, unless it was an easy 100 words. 

$12.00 per 80 connects really should not break the bank ... 

It's not about money. It is about principles. I'm not paying to work. Period.

More to the point, I'm not paying for *the chance* to work. Last time I checked, a connect did not guarantee a job.

You won't get out of bed for 15 per hour? I'd rather pay 12 bucks in lotery than paying them for the remote posibility of landing a contract of which a 22% of revenue will go to another guy.

Matter of opinions, I guess.

Inigo A wrote:

More to the point, I'm not paying for *the chance* to work. Last time I checked, a connect did not guarantee a job.

You won't get out of bed for 15 per hour? I'd rather pay 12 bucks in lotery than paying them for the remote posibility of landing a contract of which a 22% of revenue will go to another guy.

Well - good luck! I sympathize, although my reasons are different. I've also learned that principles can get in the way of paying the bills ... 

Inigo, whilst I completely understand where you're coming from, Upwork has to try (like you) to make money as well. If its previous model didn't work, it's completely understandable that they change it, whatever we may think of those changes. Like all of us, if it can't make it pay then it will stop doing what it does.

You're not paying for the chance to work, you're paying for Upwork to provide you with potential work opportunities that you would not otherwise have been aware of (and all the automatic invoicing, time tracking, guaranteed payment) that goes with it.

Inigo A wrote:

Then you're right to leave. It makes no sense for someone who is unwilling to pay a company for its services to expect a for-profit business to handle his marketing and other expenses for free.

Kaixo Iñigo 🙂

Well, I was going to answer you, but Nichola has gone ahead of me.
Keep trying, do not give up yet.

That would explain the lack of REAL job posts. But why are there MORE spam jobs now?

03f1a303
Community Member

That's correct, UpWork is taking 20% from our cut but they don't let us work. So they want us to also pay to get a job. So paying for connects and accepting a  low budget project and get paid minus 20%. This is honestly ridiculous. Not counting the number of rules they have. UPWORK, GIVE US AT LEAST 30 CONNECTS PER MONTH. 

81f2681a
Community Member

I pay this already ridiculously overpriced platform.

Overpriced platform?!!!! Being a freelancer plus membership costs just $14.99/month ! If you can´t get $14.99 per month to pay upwork, I suggest that you change your workflow or change your activitie branch.

To have an agency plus membership in Upwork costs just $20 per month plus $0.15 per connect. 70 conects cost $10.5, the total costs to have an agency with same number of conects as a freelancer plus membership costs just $30.5. Just $30.5 to have an agency in Upwork!!!! This amount is derisory for any company.

If you can´t get more than $30 in Upwork, I realy suggest you to change your activities, do another thing instead of doing what you do.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members