Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Replace Top Rated with Levels

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
31 of 82

There was a system here that promoted the "earnings" badge. Only a real select few had it. I once got to talk to a freelancer who had the most coveted "Top 1%" as far as 12-month earnings are concerned. I believe there was a whole range like Top 1 to Top 10-15% but it accounts for ALL categories. Meaning the system won't really care where you got your money as long as you gave 10% to them. Smiley Wink)

They removed it and I have no concrete reason why. Perhaps many freelancers here saw how those who belong in the "Top x%" levels had quite an advantage even when the skills of those who didn't have the badge were the same, if not better.

What people here are saying are how it would be downright unfair for those whose categories aren't known to pay high or consistently. Take a look at the Writing Category vs the Programming category for instance.  You will barely see bids above $20 in Writing but Programming bids, as I often see the spending trends of clients, easily have $20 as the minimum.

It's relative. If you want something like that, then something like "Top x% Earner - X Category" would be alright, I guess, and it would be like medals and can definitely be advantageous to employers looking for more "depth" in their sorting.

Alas, I'm still on Jean and Setu's side of the boat.

However it sinks, Ramon will keep our heads afloat Smiley Wink

P.S. Let's not turn this into an Elance vs oDesk thread now.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
32 of 82

"You will barely see bids above $20 in Writing"

Tell me about it. I've used eight connects this month. There's almost nothing in Writing worth applying for. People want a 20,000 word book on the budget of a 500 word blog post.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
33 of 82

It's rubbish anyway. It's based on what the clients find valuable. Computer programming is way overpaid, does the world really need another mobile app developer? While writing and customer service work are shamefully undervalued. Anyway, with some of the highest-paid people working online, you get the impression that all the money in the world wouldn't be enough to buy themselves a personality...

spiderwisp
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
34 of 82

"Computer programming is way overpaid"

So thinks you, Ramon, so thinks you. Try telling that to a software engineer who spent 4+ years earning a bachelors degree and then invested thousands of dollars into software alone to perform their tasks.

I mean really from your perspective I can take the very opposite approach - Just about anyone can write words. Try writing some computer code since you think programmers should be paid the same as writers.

"And does anyone need another app developer"?

Probably, considering an app I recently published for a client already has over 300K downloads I'd say they needed an app developer. Considering the clothing brand I just released a new web page for is serving that page up hundreds of thousands of times a day and generating tens of thousands in revenue per day, I'd say they needed me. Considering the internal marketing system I developed that increased sales by 14% for a worldwide top-40 online retailer (that's millions in additional revenue btw), I'd say they needed me.

How much revenue does your writing generate for your clients? (just curious)

Value is in the eye of the beholder - so while you may think programmers are overpaid, I beg to differ. Many of us provide actual value to our clients (we make them money).

$85/hr. or even $20k for a project can sometimes be PEANUTS compared to the return received.

So, please, tell me how we're being overpaid some more. 

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
35 of 82

So funny you, Tim, so funny you.. You wrote in part: "I recently...I just...I developed," I, I, I.... Not quite the best way to make a point in a community environment. Besides, the best of the best programmers worldwide do not work via Upwork--not via oDesk--not via Elance. How long have you been on Elance?

Ron aka LanWanMan
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
36 of 82

No, can't be bothered.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
37 of 82

@Ramon B wrote:

No, can't be bothered.

+1 

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
38 of 82

No, I'm not being dragged into being turned into an internet troll. I'll go for a run, chat to my fiancee, just do normal, healthy things that people whose lives aren't dictated by the virtual world do. Let them argue with themselves from now on. Cat Happy

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
39 of 82

People are paid by what the market dictates, not the intrinsic value of their job. That's why stockbrokers earn 200 times as much as nurses. Quite frankly, the rich people window lickers who watch stuff like Keeping up with the Kardasians make me sick Cat Mad

Those idiot rappers and sportsmen who are always boasting about their grotesque and underserved wealth are awful too Cat MadCat Mad

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
40 of 82

tl;dr Elancers and oDeskers don't like UpWork so let's not argue anymore.

With what Jean stated earlier, it's not that we're fed up but rather just a bit...overwhelmed by all these posts asking for changes. It started when members who weren't aware of the forums were asked to visit. They then started their own "dafuq is wrong with UpWork?!" threads. We tried to answer as many as we can (hence why I tripled my posts here in just one month alone) but as the weeks went by, it was all just a chore and no one has time for chores.

So kindly understand that we also share your frustrations with the system. It's just that we've done hundreds of threads about it and the most we got from it are generic answers from the community moderators who also have their hands tied. It's an issue on transparency but I digress.

The system has too many bugs and things that might as well explode on your face if you're not careful but I do what I can to make the most out of it. Take the messaging system for example. I no longer reply to clients via UpWork but via email instead. I realized I barely need the messaging system at all when it became what it is now.

So yeah, it's gonna be one hell of a ride with you guys so I do hope we all get along.

P.S. I made a RANT thread at the Coffee Break section so feel free to vent whatever you have but please play nice.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS