Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support via Community Contributors

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 18

As the effectiveness and timeliness of support via the oDesk main Help & Support channels continues to diminish, the NEW Community Forums purpose becomes more evident--an oDesk cost savings measure whereby support is provided primarily by oDesk members (aka "Top Solution Authors") with forum titles like "Community Guru" and others.

I'm sure it's around here somewhere, but I can't find it. Where is the forum post that lists these obscure forum titles, describing their roles and clarifying whether those individuals are compensated by oDesk and in what manner.

The absence of the "feedback" conversation threads appears to be another indicator that oDesk intends to lesson or eliminate oDesk support directly by oDesk employees and contractors--in contrast, to oDesk's previous approach.

Actually, the growing use of contractors to staff oDesk's main chat support was the very first indicator that cost savings measures were underway. Recall the old addage, "you get what you pay for."

Simple things like the "How it Works" link available in the header on the community forums pages seem to indicate a long-term goal of completely replacing the current oDesk core site with an entirely new design; hopefully, an efficient, workable design with features that benefit all--clients, freelancers, and oDesk as well.

Are there plans for a NEW oDesk core platform to replace the existing problematic site?

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 18

Where is the link for this compensation forum post that you speak of? Upon checking, I saw that I'm the current overall top solution author (3 accepted solutions whohoo!).

Gee, oDesk should be paying me Smiley Tongue

oDesk, should you decide to pay me, I will not object Smiley Happy

Nah, I never heard of that post. All I've seen is this post about the new forum launch.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
3 of 18

The link you ask for is the one that I couldn't find. There should be a thread from oDesk defining these new roles, "Community Guru" and others. Knowing for certain who actually workss for oDesk would be in the best interest of transparency (Something oDesk lacks).

oDesk should be paying you? I don't disagree. However, a lot of firms engaged in selling products and services have long ago resorted to providing support via their forums only. That is, unless consumers elect to purchase higher support options as part of continued subscription pricing or similar methods.

Community Guru
4 of 18

Ron, I got a secret ----> The reason I post solutions/replies loaded with links to services/topics which are difficult to find (like this, this, and this) is to for me to have easier access to those info later Smiley Tongue

Lots of useful info is kept hidden/deliberately difficult to search for. It's grrr. So you see, I'm not really doing it for the community but more for my selfish reasons haha! Anyway, I agree that people are being driven to use the forum for support because of lackluster performance from those who are actually being paid to provide assistance. It should not be like that.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 18

Hi Ron,

I'll go ahead and set up a thread to define the Community Roles you all see on your profile. These roles are a way to show the graduating levels of activity here on the forums and to acknowledge your participation. 

This Community is by no means intended to replace Customer Support. That said, vibrant communities often enhance the "help experience" by giving users a chance to ask questions from others who are using the site everyday. We'll continue to foster this.

Community Guru
6 of 18

Thank you Garnor! I totally agree and support your ideas regarding the main purpose of "Community Roles."

I am looking forward to the thread whereby oDesk will define the Community Roles in a prominent manner. Maybe with a link in the left-hand column titled "Community Roles Explained" or other meaningful anchor text (The oDesk Community - Announcements area is already becoming a bit cluttered even with items pinned to the top; maybe add a link in the left-hand coloun to the "oDesk Community Guidelines" as well.).

As a minimum, I hope to see a list of Community Roles with the criteria used when a role is assigned to a member, a brief description of what the role signifies, and whether or not the role is assigned to an oDesk member vs. an oDesk employee including paid contractors; essentially defining the "officiality" of members' posts.

Community Guru
7 of 18

One of our talented "Community Gurus" wrote in part " I never heard of that post. All I've seen is this post about the new forum launch

I saw that before. Maybe Garnor, "Community Manager" will update that thread with more information--Especially, information about the various roles contributors play and whether they work for oDesk or not, whether they are compensated or not. Take "Community Leader" for instance. Is that an official oDesk representative of a member with a special title?

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
8 of 18

Lol, Ron.no. Smiley Happy

You can have my title anytimeSmiley Happy  It doesn't correspond with reality anyway lol.

That are just titles that are given to people who were very active on the forum , and they are not associated with oDesk in anyway (and not paid!) . The titles don't have anything to do with the quality of the posts or influence or anything else except the activity.  I actually wish that we have just names without  the title like we did in the old forum because a lot of time people seem to think that our opinions are official opinions (and they are not!)  Also a  lot of people are led to believe that we are like moderators, which I don't like -I don't want to give out impression that my personal opinion is official oDesk recommendation ; it is just my recommendation or my view, not official-I don't want responsibility for that. I would keep kudos (because if somebody made a great post I want to support it without having to post myself ) but I 'd remove this board top five and top solution authors.It seems to me that it drives people away . Great to see you posting again :-)

Community Guru
9 of 18

Oh and I agree with Natasa M.

There was one guy who totally lost his marbles over my replies because he thinks a 'guru' shouldn't be posting anything with humor or sarcasm. He thought having the community guru thingy means I'm somehow associated with oDesk and that I'm obliged to provide him customer service (totally his fault, he wants to be spoonfed and won't read the TOS).

The titles I've seen are:

Community manager

community guru

community leader

power member

ace contributor

Just not sure how many posts you have to have to go up the levels. I've arranged them in descending order from what I've observed. I would rather not have the titles because it can mislead a lot of people, just like the person I mentioned earlier.

I like the kudos and being marked as best answer/best solution but just not sure how I feel about it being tallied and placed on the side like some bulletin board.

Community Guru
10 of 18

Thanks to all that have replied thus far. The responses clarified what I had suspected regarding the various titles assigned to certain oDesk members in the NEW Community Forum. That is, "Maybe not official, but usually highly reliable!"

Transparency, disclaimers, etc., things oDesk always seems to have lacked, hidden, or did not prominently display.

Now, will there be a new oDesk core site whereby clients and freelancers alike can conduct business in a more productive manner? For freelancers, current features for searching for suitable client job descriptions are still useless. Clients' searches for qualified freelancers still do not return the best results. Buggy, inoperable features over-controlled by a fleet of "mad robots."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS