Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious Job?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 16

Hi Becky,

Do you have an active contract with this client?

If you don't, you can let them know politely that you're not interested in working on their job/jobs, and stop communicating. You can check in with Support by using the link from the private message I just sent you, if you have any specific information you wish to share.

Please follow Nichola's advice and remove the links that contain your personal contact information, from your Portfolio samples and other experiences section.

Untitled
barton-becky
Becky B Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
12 of 16
Thank you!! I knew that was my best bet, but I would much rather be safe than sorry
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 16

But you still need to remove your contact details see Katrina's post above.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
14 of 16

@Nichola L wrote:

But you still need to remove your contact details see Katrina's post above.

I have found a freelancer here that has found a way for the link not to turn green/blue and be clickable.  I've flagged it twice but it is still there.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 16

Hi Katrina,

Please send me the user's profile link in a private message, so I can check if our team reviewed the case.

Thank you.

Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 16

I would not classify the client's request as a "scam," because as far as I can tell, they were not trying to trick you.

I think one of three things happened:

1) The client really wanted you to do work, and flat-out asked you to do it for free, which seems silly, but some contractors acquiesce. They shouldn't.

2) The client was trying to get you to work and get paid off-platform, which is a serious violation of Upwork rules. But nothing in the original poster's account mentions outside payment.

3) The client is relatively new to Upwork and didn't know what they were doing. The contract could have said: "It sounds like you need this work done right away. Set up the Upwork contract and Ill accept the offer and get started immediately."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS