🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » TAX Fraud Scammers on Upwork
Page options
Kai N Community Member

TAX Fraud Scammers on Upwork

This is third or fourth Scam message I got on Upwork. But by far the biggest one. A new client offered to pay 22$  for my services from which he said I will get 40% and I am to send back 60% back  to him. It was allegedly to save their comapny from taxs, through Tax Evasion, a stupid reason apparently.  I don't understand why upwork does not take any action against all these scammers. I personally have spent my hard earned money to buy connects that were lost on fradulent job posts. Fraud on Upwork is so rampant that some scammers do not even care to hide it, and put their misleading web addresses right in the job discription. Also every second or third job seems to be a scam. Upwork charges us massive fees just for us to get scammed by fraudsters. Upwork needs to do better. 

#UPWORKDOBETTER

1 REPLY 1
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Kainat,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety. In cases such as yours, it may not be apparent in their job post that they are violating Upwork ToS and you would only learn that when you start communicating with them. Hence we highly encourage you to send us a flag so we can investigate and take action based on our internal processes.

Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check this post for and update from our Trust & Safety team and their efforts around addressing these issues.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members