cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 28

Hi Kayla,

You will need to report Upwork income to IRS and you may want to consult with a local tax adviser about ways to do it. You can also check this help article to learn more about the conditions that need to be met in order for Upwork to send tax forms to a freelancer and this webinar recording for more tips on reporting your Upwork income.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Kayla D Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
12 of 28

Thank you. I did see that article before. Since I will not be getting a W-2 form sent to me, is there a place that I can download one or a place where I can see my complete earnings for the year?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
13 of 28

Kayla,

You can go to your Reports> Certificate of Earnings and use that PDF document when you report your income to IRS. 

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Kayla D Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
14 of 28

Thank you very much Valeria, you were alot of help!

Chris W Member Since: Feb 25, 2017
15 of 28

Kayla D,

Was your certificate of earnings report accurate?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 28

Mine isn't. I suggest not using that and instead going through transactions

Natalie T Member Since: Mar 4, 2017
17 of 28

Hey Jennifer, 

So I went through my transactions like you mentioned you do. Don't shoot me if this sounds dumb, this is all very new for me still as I've never filed taxes with freelance work. Do I claim the entire amount I earned or only the amount that I actually received since UpWork took their portion too? I'm assuming we file for the entire amount and can try to possibly write off the UpWork fees as a business expense?

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
18 of 28

@Natalie T wrote:

Hey Jennifer, 

So I went through my transactions like you mentioned you do. Don't shoot me if this sounds dumb, this is all very new for me still as I've never filed taxes with freelance work. Do I claim the entire amount I earned or only the amount that I actually received since UpWork took their portion too? I'm assuming we file for the entire amount and can try to possibly write off the UpWork fees as a business expense?

You can report your earnings and Upwork's fees either way, depending on what makes the most sense for you. I report only net income, since I never see the fees, but I've seen others report the full amount and then deduct fees as an expense. Both methods result in the same total.

Erin H Member Since: Feb 25, 2017
19 of 28

Valeria, do you know exactly where I report my income though? Would that be line 21 on the 1040 that asks for "other income"?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 28

lol seriously? Get an accountant or use Turbo Tax.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS