cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes

Chris W Member Since: Feb 25, 2017
21 of 28

Valerie K,

When accessing my Certificate of Earnings report, it is showing the correct figure I earned in the March 1, 2016 field, and then in the Sept. 2016 field it shows another figure. I did not earn all that the certificate is showing. How can I get this fixed?

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
22 of 28

As a freelancer, you need to report ALL your income to the IRS. Even if you made only $200.

Don't play games with them.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 28

"Don't play games with them."

Pretty much what I was thinking. Just best to be all pollyana about taxes. Best believe Upwork is reporting the money even if they don't send you a tax form.

BTW, sorry Upwork but the reports make me nervous, so my suggestion and what I do is count my deposits into my bank account. 

Ace Contributor
Laura S Member Since: Jun 30, 2017
24 of 28

So just to clarify, I'm going to be earning more than $20,000 this year, Upwork is who sends me the W-9 or whatever we get for taxes.  Is that correct?  

I earned just under the amount last year so I had to figure it out on my own and it was a pain.  

Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
25 of 28

I believe Upwork will send you a 1099.  You will still need to figure out your taxes.  They will just tell you how much you've been paid.  I'm not an accountant, but I believe that if you are are paying yourself (through an LLC or just taking the money and pocketing it), if you are going to owe more than $1000 for the year in taxes, you need to be paying quarterly taxes or you'll also get hit with a penatly.

Sheila H Member Since: Jan 10, 2017
26 of 28

I guess I have a question then. I made $135 last year and I printed out my Certificate of Earnings. So, do I just take the Certificate of Earnings to the taxes guy my family goes to or is there another form I need to fill out and give him?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
27 of 28

Erin, you can't ask questions like that here. Upwork isn't going to tell you how to file your taxes.

Also your question assumes there is only one way to file your taxes. There are many, many ways to file your taxes, not just one way. People might use completely different forms. Those using the same forms may fill them out in different ways. The best answer for you might be a bad answer for me.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
28 of 28

@Sheila H wrote:

I guess I have a question then. I made $135 last year and I printed out my Certificate of Earnings. So, do I just take the Certificate of Earnings to the taxes guy my family goes to or is there another form I need to fill out and give him?

From the IRS: "You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more."

Under that amount, you don't have to report it, but neither can you claim expenses.

Helpful links: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employed-individuals-tax-center

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS