🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The struggle of a new member
Page options
drsarah
Community Member

The struggle of a new member

Hello all!

I wanted to ask, how many proposals did it take you to land the first proposal?

Demotivation is creeping up on me Smiley Sad, and it is like there isn't any approach to a proposal that is working.

If you can, share your stories, and what worked with you the most for landing the first few jobs

It can be a source of inspiration

5 REPLIES 5
martinceisel
Community Member

Do you know anyone in your network that hires for your skill on Upwork already? This might be the best way to land your first contract.

922c6a13
Community Member

hey Sara ,

i start up last month and i learn from YouTube how to create a perfect profile for my upwork also i post some website design that i created by my self on the Portfolio and i apply to so many proposals but never heard back and i felt so bad and almost gave up , i created a beautiful gig about shopify landing page then i left upwork for almost two weeks never open it because i gave up but suddenly one American lady message me and ask me if i can redesign her website , and i was so happy that i got my first job on upwork , so i design her logo for free and offer her low price for her website that was my first 50 dollar i ever made online , stay positive and show hard work and i am sure you will won ! GOOD LUCK  

tlbp
Community Member

Sarah A wrote:

Hello all!

I wanted to ask, how many proposals did it take you to land the first proposal?

Demotivation is creeping up on me Smiley Sad, and it is like there isn't any approach to a proposal that is working.

If you can, share your stories, and what worked with you the most for landing the first few jobs

It can be a source of inspiration

There are many more freelancers than clients using Upwork. Look back on the proposals you've sent and see if the client hired anyone. You may be able to click on the name of the person they hired and see their profile. Were they more qualified than you? Did they accept the contract at a lower price? Also, evaluate how many of the gigs you bid on didn't end with a hire at all. Sometimes the client may hire no one. 

Upwork is a high-effort way to secure gigs, particularly if you are new. You must be able to perform the tasks well and demonstrate your skills using your profile and proposals. 

As someone who is new and offering academic writing support, you must also be cautious of fraudulent jobs and scammers. Make sure you don't get tricked into doing someone's school work for them because that would be a violation of the terms of service that could get you banned. 

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

It took months for me to get the first small piece of work here, then the second. Now it's no longer an issue, but it took motivation and persistence in the beginning. Some clients have a preference for new freelancers, sometimes for a good reason, sometimes not. Keep pushing and analyse every detail carefully before accepting an offer and entering in a contract. Ask for changes to offers and ask questions whenever you feel it's necessary. Good luck 😉

drsarah
Community Member

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, you have given me good insights, and every word made a difference

Really appreciate it 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members