cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is really becoming scary now

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 11

Is Upwork going to provide us with an in-depth report on what's going on? Every few days you mention on your Facebook channel:

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with the Upwork website. Our technical team is investigating the issue and we will be back up as soon as possible.".

Can you please explain what those difficulties are? I think it's our right to know what's going on. I wouldn't ask about this if it's a one-time problem, but mentioning vague expressions every week about outages wipes away my trust in your service.

Is it like you're needing more resources? more talented employees? Something else? What is then... Just let us know the source of the problem and then we may be able to understand and be patient until you get through this.

Is this problem resolved? Are we going to face the same difficulties next week? Can you start telling us in advance when the website will go down?

In software architecture when someone treats an issue and fix it, it's fixed. In Upwork's terminology when you guys fix a problem it comes back after a week.

I appreciate your reply and please no need to reply with the same vague and generic replies. We're hoping for someone to calm us down and not to let us angrier.

Best regards,
Wassim

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
2 of 11

Too many technical issues. I received an offer today, client had an urgent task for me, but only now I was able to accept.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 11

I was kinda hoping it would stay broke so I would have an excuse to miss the deadline. lol

I was gonna send a reminder about escrow to new customer but I think I will hold off until tomorrow.

Community Guru
4 of 11

You're always being funny Jen. I kinda blame you for being so cool - though I am cool myself most of the time but not when I'm trying to accept an offer from a client without being able to log into the system to accept it.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 11

<3 Wassim

I hear ya, friend. Trying to laugh cuz not being able to submit for my deadline today would have made me a bit upset. Smiley Happy

It's one of those things where you know the customer would have rated me poorly and Upwork woulda been like "tough luck on that stats hit."

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
6 of 11

Transparency has always been this site's issue ever since it became UpWork. They don't disclose because the problems they have might make both clients and freelancers go away. It's all psychological and perhaps the only ones who "know" what's really going on are the higher-ups. The people at the bottom only know they're paid to fix something and not know how grave/crucial that "something" is.

I'm not being cynical. It's simply how a business runs. You don't tell what you don't want them to know. You only mention as much as the papers allow them to know. 

And yes, it's bad business ethics.

Community Guru
7 of 11

You're right Robert. Transparency is very important and Upwork is missing that.

I have several subscriptions on different services online, and most of them send out emails in advance about scheduled outages. I am not going to mention any here to respect the community guidelines, but almost every single company (including ones much smaller than Upwork) sends an email in advance and explains in detail what's going on and the reson for the outage.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 11

@Wassim T wrote:

You're right Robert. Transparency is very important and Upwork is missing that.

I have several subscriptions on different services online, and most of them send out emails in advance about scheduled outages. I am not going to mention any here to respect the community guidelines, but almost every single company (including ones much smaller than Upwork) sends an email in advance and explains in detail what's going on and the reson for the outage.

It's difficult to announce an unplanned outage, isn't it? This has been an ongoing issue since 2013, and falls right into the jurisdiction of the Head of Dev, COO and ultimately CEO at this point, all of which have failed to act to this day. 

Günther V Member Since: May 12, 2015
9 of 11

I also became scared in the beginning, assuming that I would loose valubale connections and contracts. However, since this is also affecting the Clients, there was nothing to worry at all.

As long as one replies asap (meaning as soon as the dffculties are over) one is "good in time".

Good solution is too monitor updwork and/or your Email accounting on your smartphone. Then by hitting the reply/proposal button regulary until messages are going through.

Anyhow, by the time of writing it appears the "longer" difficulties are a thing of the past. (Till the next bug hits)

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
10 of 11

@Wassim T wrote:

Every few days you mention on your Facebook channel:

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with the Upwork website. Our technical team is investigating the issue and we will be back up as soon as possible.".

This is supposed to be a professional working platform.

Why do I have to go to an **Edited for Community Guidelines** social media website to get an update on what's going on with my work environment?

So people that don't have and/or don't want a FB account are just out of luck? Ridiculous.

Not that they ever seem to provide any useful information on there, as Wassim pointed out.

Most of the time the forum still works - how about posting official announcements in the designated 'announcements' section on here?

I know, Stephen keeps asking this question and never get's a reply either.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS