Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's New Bug Is...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
1 of 37

Untitled2.jpg

I was just hired for a job, but oddly enough, I didn't receive an email telling me that I had been offered the job, nor did I receive a message through Upwork messenger. I discovered it by accident when I was checking on something else.

I was able to accept the offer, but when I tried to send a message to the client, I received the error above. Now, whenever I try to access the job, I get this error: "Request Error: Can't Open Room."  This is a big problem, because I don't have any other way to contact the client since no message thread has been started. I don't have her email address yet, I don't know her Skype ID...I've got nothing

I've been on hold with tech support again...forever...again. If I could make my hourly rate for all the time I spend on tech support, I wouldn't have to work. (Well, OK, I would...but only half as much.)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
2 of 37

Edit: Not relevant anymore

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 37

Tech Support Update: Even though this job, and only this job, is presenting the error on THREE different computers, it's "just a broswer cache issue" because "everything is working on [their] end." Because my "full" browser cache explains why their system didn't send me any notifications about the job. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 37

Tech Support Update #2: I have just been called "dear."  As if I wasn't irritated enough already.

Tech Support Update #3: "Please check your spam folder." To which I sent a screenshot of my Gmail's "Hooray! No Spam here!" screen. To which, so far, there has been no response.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 37

Tech Support Update #4: "Have you had a message communication with the client?"

*Bangs head against wall.* NO. That is why I'm talking to you. 

Tech Support Update #5: "The offer has been sent and there should be a message thread created and you should receive a notification via email. You should be able to message your client that way."

*Continues banging head.*

Tech Support Update #6: "I will escalate the issue."

Great...so that it can still be an open ticket 4-5 weeks from now, like the other escalated tickets that I have open? Thanks.

If this wasn't my livehlihood, it would be hilarious.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 37

Hi Signe, 

I apologise for the frustration this has caused. When I checked the offer though, I can see that the client sent her Skype ID for you to contact her there. But I was actually able to replicate your issue and will share this with the team. I will check if there are current issues with the platform and update this thread once I get feedback. 

Apologies again for the inconvenience.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 37

Avery, I can't access the message the client sent. All I see is this:

Untitled4.jpg

There is NO message thread in Upwork Messenger with this client, so I can't see whatever message she sent to accompany the proposal. Whenever I try to click "send a message" from the main contract screen, I get the error message posted above. There's also no message history with this client in Upwork Messenger (at least not on my end). I have received nothing, not in my email, not through Upwork...nothing. Whatever you guys are seeing, it isn't coming through on my end.

Could you perhaps send me a prrivate message with the Skype ID so I can contact the client to explain what's going on and get the ball rolling on this job? Resumes are often time-sensitive because clients want to use them to apply to particular positions, so this might be a case where time is of the essence and I can't wait for the engineers to solve my problem.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 37

The client just sent me a message that went through thanking me for accepting the job and making some clear references to whatever was in her previous message(s). Thank goodness! I still haven't received any messages about being offered the job, or the message Avery referenced with the Skype ID, but hallelujah! Contact has been made! Step 1: Get client's email and Skype ID so we don't have to rely on this platform...

Highlighted
9 of 37

Hi Signe, 

Just sent you a private message. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
10 of 37

Hi Signe, 

It is a known bug and the team is currently investigating on the issue. I will let you know once it has been resolved. 

Thanks for your understanding!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS