cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Freelancer Email

pandoraharper
Community Guru

I got an email today regarding yet another update Odesk is un-rolling. Apparently, the old "All-Star Freelancer program" is being canceled, and this new Top Rated Freelancer thing is replacing it.  No wonder they were in such a rush to roll out My Stats and show the Job Success % on profiles.

There is a new entry in the Support Pages for this, with both details and FAQ.  Here is the URL:

https://support.odesk.com/entries/61866640

54 REPLIES 54
garnorm
Community Guru

Congrats Pandora, and thanks for sharing the Help article with more info. We'll be sharing more soon as the program comes closer to launch. 

Hi Garnor,

Can you share details on "Personalized recommendations to strengthen your profile"?

Hi Olga,

We'll send you feedback on each area of your profile and how to make it even stronger to attract more clients.

I just got it as well! I must confess: right now, I'm both excited about it and proud of myself! Smiley Very Happy

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

@Garnor M wrote:

Congrats Pandora, and thanks for sharing the Help article with more info. We'll be sharing more soon as the program comes closer to launch. 

Thanks Garnor. I just sorta figured that for those who did didn't get the email, or if they did but didn't notice the link, the support page has some nice data on it and should be shared.

With all the latest ton of updates, a lot of folks might not even know the page has been added.

Garnor, I received the email as well and the first thought that came to mind was "you got to be kidding me". This email suggests that anyone with a job score of over 90% and annual earnings of at least $1000 will be now called "top rated" and will have access to chat and phone support - the catch is, in order to qualify, users need to add a photo. I took down my picture for a reason. Does this mean I won't have access to chat and phone support much longer despite the fact that I make a big multiple of the minimum? 

We want to put you in front of as many clients as possible, and make your profile as attractive as possible.  Photos are an important factor in this.  The 100% profile completion requirement is to ensure our Top Rated freelancers have profiles that look as good as their work history reflects. 

You've had access to chat and phone support as part of your inclusion in the All-Star program. We are planning to transition the All-Star program into Top Rated, but as noted we will require a profile photo to make your profile complete.

I guess it is a matter of perspective but I don't understand how someone's  photo can be more important than how much  money s/he makes through your website, but then again  I don't understand a lot of stuff that are going on here.

Garnor - then please help me understand what the point of keeping my 3+ years  client on oDesk is and not just leave the site? I've done really well without oDesk "putting me" in front of anything, and the fees I pay (which are a multiple of what the threshold to qualify as a top rated freelancer is) do justify timely support which can't be accomplished through tickets. If you disagree, please explain. Thanks.

Such a good point. Anonymity is crucial to some people. 

yitwail
Community Guru

Pandora,

thanks for posting that. I didn't receive that oDesk email yet, even though I appear to qualify for this *distinction*. Anyway, this is supposed to be one of the perks:

• Premium support, including phone and chat

I'm curious how it differs from the existing chat support. I'm not sure there's a phone support option right now--if there is, I've never used it.

@John K wrote:

Pandora,

thanks for posting that. I didn't receive that oDesk email yet, even though I appear to qualify for this *distinction*. Anyway, this is supposed to be one of the perks:

• Premium support, including phone and chat

I'm curious how it differs from the existing chat support. I'm not sure there's a phone support option right now--if there is, I've never used it.

Welcome, John. I did notice the mention of premium support, but by gosh, I've only talked to a live person once, and it was a long long time ago. I rarely need to contact support, but usually it's not time sensative stuff.

For advanced users of Odesk who have serious issues though, this is, in theory, a real perk.

What I do not understand is why I never got invited to the previous incarnation of this service. No biggie really though, I tend to work really long term jobs, and normally don't even show up in search results due to either the mad robot, or because I am marked un-available.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru

Just got mine too tyty  Smiley Very Happy

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
iaabraham
Community Guru

Like John, I also seem to qualify yet didn't receive an email 😞

However, I think I'd be happier if some of the worrying bugs that have been recently plaguing the system were identified & destroyed!

EDIT: Well I just received my email. I have to say though that the criteria for a "Top Rated" freelancer is not very strong at all.

andre090904
Community Leader

Hmm, I did not get any email either, although I have a job sucess score of 99% and monthly incomes which are by far more than sufficient compared to what's listed on that page linked above.

What went wrong?

Anyways, I'd be happier to be able to send clients messages again rather than having a shiny badge in my profile...

Best,

André

I don't know about the others who received the email, but in my case it was to inform me that I am eligible, but I need to have a 100% complete profile (mine was lacking 'Employment History'). Maybe you didn't get the email because your profile is complete.

pandoraharper
Community Guru

Perhaps emails are going first to freelancers who did were not part of the old program?

I have no idea how many established users were part of the old program, but I would guess it was quite a few.

Or perhaps the outgoing emails are sent randomly, or by some other determined variable that has nothing to do with actual "qualification".

yitwail
Community Guru

Just now, got my email. Cat Very Happy It's probably because I use yahoo mail for sentimental reasons. Cat Embarassed

"It's probably because I use yahoo mail for sentimental reasons."

Ugh that's exactly the same reason I still keep and use 2 Yahoo mail accounts 😄

At least I have gmail for 'mission critical' email. Cat Wink