🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Trouble getting illustration projects
Page options
laubach-lisa
Community Member

Trouble getting illustration projects

Hello, I just got done completing a 4th project on UpWork for one of my clients who has given me a 5 star review, in addition to my first client. I've been illustrating books for 5 years on various platforms and for a local person in my town. With all of this experience why has it been so difficult for me to land something? I try to make each proposal different, yet include enough information to allow my qualifications to stand out, and I also try to boost as many of my proposals as I can, all with no luck. I am open to any help that can be provided. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Lisa,

Please be reminded that you have the Top-Rated Badge and it's not there for no reason. We created the Top Rated designation to recognize that hard work, helps you stand out, attract more clients, and grow your business. So please don't lose hope!

I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ArjayM

Hi Lisa,

Please be reminded that you have the Top-Rated Badge and it's not there for no reason. We created the Top Rated designation to recognize that hard work, helps you stand out, attract more clients, and grow your business. So please don't lose hope!

I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you I have updated my profile and I have reviewed a few of the courses, such as the proposal deep dive. I also reviewd the article you sent me on proposal writing and watched the embedded video. All very helpful.

discobubbles
Community Member

Lisa, 

I think in truth the answer lies in your portfolio pieces. 

In your first portfolio sample of the Mt. Bethel Fire Department, there appears to be an aspect ratio problem going on in the second illustration. Also, from a graphic design standpoint, the title itself is not dynamic or interesting. You are using a sanserif font for both the Title and the byline. In another portfolio sample the type and illustration meet in an awkward place.

The title should be thematic. If you can find a "fire" font, or a font that communicates "rescue" or "emergency" that would be a great font for the cover of the book.

Finally, the illustration technique "feels" very antiseptic or generic in nature. I would suggest in your art software to use a brush with variable line width. Illustrator can create a variety of brushes that can add style to your illustrations and not appear so "digital" in nature.

The second sample you provided about the old woman who lived in the show is blurry.and contains artifacts. You should take care to make sure that all your portfolio pieces you include are of an optimal size and resolution for viewing. Looking through your portfolio, this problem crops up in a couple other areas as well. 

All of these things are things I have to also do myself. I too have had graphic design issues with some of my work, probles with my sample resolution,and I definitely have trouble honing and polishing a certain style.

I should add that your style appears to be all over the place. Find a style that you like and stick to it and hone it. You can also experiment using specialized profiles, and create a specialty profile that promotes that specific style that you like to illustrate in and see if there is a response to that style.

Hope this helps some,

James G.

thank you

0e89b453
Community Member

I don't know clearly about proposal writing, how can you help me?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Waris, 

You can check out these articles to help you write a unique proposal that captures your target client: 

I hope this help! Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members