🐈 Community
abbasihassan

URGENT HELP (Job success and hiring rate)

Hi,

Recently my profile success rate has been changed to 82% from 100 %, i wonder why this drastic shift has taken place. Although i didn't work recently because i am struggling to get new work, although i am ten years old on upwork.

I got a client 2.5 month back who opened up a contract but never sent me the requirements, because of which i wasn't able to track any time on it. I recently closed the contract because of inactivity and i guess thats the reason for change in success rate.

Can anyone get me some manual help, i am really bidding hard and looking for new work opportunities.

Also my profile status is " Private" although i am bidding regularly.

M Hassan

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r

@M Hassan A wrote:

1) I got a client 2.5 month back who opened up a contract but never sent me the requirements, because of which i wasn't able to track any time on it. I recently closed the contract because of inactivity and i guess thats the reason for change in success rate.

2) Also my profile status is " Private" although i am bidding regularly.

1) Contracts which do not lead to any earnings will eventually hit you JSS, either around the 2-3 month mark or when closed (if earlier) - Never accept a contract until you have what you need to at least get started.

Also, if you haven't worked recently, you may not have enough closed contrcts in one or more calculation windows.

2) Yes, once you have not earned anything (!!) for 30 days it is set private. Whether you bid or not is irrelevant but it does not affect how clients whose jobs you bid on see your profile.

Petra, can you tell if closing contracts by freelancer affects JSS?

You're the only one whose advice I trust anymore Smiley Very Happy

Should I ask clients to close them or just close them by my self or just let them be?

This is a bit off topic, but this bothers me still from yesterdays conversations.

I understood that they do not affect as there are payments but are they indifferent as long as there is not a lot of them? Yes, I need an explanation "for dummies".Smiley LOL

@Anneli K wrote:

1) Petra, can you tell if closing contracts by freelancer affects JSS?

2) Should I ask clients to close them or just close them by my self or just let them be?

1) No, it does not. Provided money was paid under them and provided you don't amass a whole lot of them.  That said, if you let idle / no feedback contracts pile up, then eventually they'd become a significant percentage and start to hurt your JSS a bit. But the act of closing a contract has no effect at all, it just means you may not get feedback. What really DOES hurt is contracts with 0 earnings (ever) and no or poor feedback.  That's about it. If you avoid "nothing paid" contracts like the plague (open for 2+ months or closed) and encourage clients to close contracts (No need to ever mention feedback), you are going to be fine and the only thing that affects your JSS will be actual feedback (public and / or private) from the clients who did leave feedback.

2) It is best to encourage clients to close contracts as soon as they are happy as that is the time they are still involved and invested and still have a warm glowy feeling about you and your work. In three months time they may not even remember who the heck you are, what you did, and why they should care at that late stage. Or they have since stepped under a bus or left their job or have given up the Internet for Lent.

So strike early.

Neither idle (as long as something was at some point paid) - nor "no feedback" (as long as something was at some point paid) contracts do any harm, unless you let them pile up, so don't do that.

I really don't understand the wholesale confusion and angst over JSS. It really is just two things that hurt: "Nothing paid in combo with no or poor (private) feedback" (open for months or closed) and "poor feedback, public and / or private."

No feedback and idle contracts, unless you have a lot, "blank" feedback, earning regularity, response time, deadlines, colour of hair, weather, water temperature, pulse frequency,  age of youngest cat etc etc etc, DO NOT AFFECT YOUR JSS.

Thank you, again.

So my only problem is (any more) how to not "let them pile up".

Learning Paths