Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive Clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
1 of 5

Hey everyone,

I currently have 2 hourly contracts and 1 fixed price contracts where the work has been completed but I've had no responses from them.

Client 1 (hourly) - I've done the work I could, but told him repeatedly I needed a downloadable link (which he could provide) to continue. He hasn't provided this link and haven't heard from him in a week.

Client 2 (hourly) - Done the job for descriptions and they've even been uploaded onto the website. Asked if there's anything else and no response.

Client 3 (fixed) - Showed her samples, she was happy with them. Sent her final draft and told me she'll get her business partner to look. No response in 3 days.

What should I do? I want to clean up all the jobs are finished as I have 5 ongoing jobs, but I don't want to do that until I get confirmation they're happy and there's nothing else to be done. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nanang T Member Since: Nov 22, 2014
2 of 5

Hi Lyam,

Nice to meet you. I think this is a common problem experienced by all freelancers. In my case, I would wait for weeks before finally sending an email to the client. A few days ago one of the clients to respond and close the contract. And now I'm waiting for the other.

and this link may be helpful. Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
BEST ANSWER
3 of 5

One week really isnt that long of a time to wait. The most troubling situation is Client 1 where you can't continue to work until you receive the link. But, as long as you have sent one or two emails requesting the link then you should be protected. If the client complains, you can point to the emails showing that you tried to contact the client.

With Client 2 and 3, I would just wait for a bit longer. People are busy (especially as it's approaching Christmas). Having five open jobs is not a lot and it shouldn't affect your work.

I would wait for another week and then send them emails again asking if everything is okay or if there is anything they need. You could also state that if you don't hear from them within two weeks, then you will close the contract.

Of course, if you close the contracts yourself, chances are that you will not receive any feedback from those clients. On the other hand, if they don't respond to you, you probably wouldn't have gotten any feedback anyway.

Bottom line, give it some more time. Keep your emails as proof that you have tried to contact the client and after a bit more time, send another email.

That's really about all you can do. Don't close the contract unless you've sent an email telling the client you will assume everything is fine and will close the contract if you don't hear from them within a couple of weeks (you should probably give a firmer date than a couple of weeks though)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5
It can be frustrating. I definitely sympathize with you. On the plus side, if you have a fixed rate contract that you submit your completed work for, and the client does absolutely nothing, you will automatically get paid eventually. ODesk processes the payment after 14 days if client does not respond to a contractor's fixed rate submission. This probably is only true if the client has been payment-verified.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
5 of 5

Thanks for the replies. It's not affecting my work, but it looks messy with all these open contracts.

I like to do a job, finish it and move on, and although I've finished some of these jobs, IO technically haven't.

Thanks again Smiley Wink

Also, when I said the clients hadn't responses, that was to my emails/Skype - not to the submitted work. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS