Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upping Rates/Leaving Clients

kamicaldwell
Ace Contributor
Kambria D Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
31 of 49

Lol I know!

Yes, I've looked at "budgets" for editor job and quickly realized $10 (or even $15) for $10,000 words is way too low. I now have one client and potiental others (interviews) at the higher rate, I typically am lower than the actual budget though, since I am not an "expert" (I'm 28 so my experience is limited, even if I am good!). 

I was surprised how low budgets are for actual writters though (writing was why I originally why I came to UpWork). Why pay a bad writter a low amount when you can get a good one for a little more?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
32 of 49

@Kambria D wrote:

I was surprised how low budgets are for actual writters though (writing was why I originally why I came to UpWork). Why pay a bad writter a low amount when you can get a good one for a little more?

I actually think many lower end clients can't tell the difference between good writing and bad.

tlsanders
Community Guru
33 of 49

@Jennifer M wrote:

lol he rounded down. haha that's funny oh boy 

well, it's done and maybe he'll be all "wheee" and give you 5 stars and everything will be great.

Is that the going rate for an editor these days?

If it's just copy editing, $3-4/page is reasonable, so she's still a little low, but not crazy out of line like the $15 was.

kamicaldwell
Ace Contributor
34 of 49
Yes, but I don't do just copy editing. Most of the time it is developmental editing and I re-write a lot of content to make the book better.
tlsanders
Community Guru
35 of 49

@Kambria D wrote:
Yes, but I don't do just copy editing. Most of the time it is developmental editing and I re-write a lot of content to make the book better.

Hm.

In that case, your new rate is, at best, about 25% of the value of the service.

I recently did a project like you're describing here at a super-steep discount because it was for an old friend, and the rate worked out to about $600/10,000 words. 

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
36 of 49

Hello Kambria. Well done for making the change.

I've read your account with great interest, and now I'm anxiously awaiting the end of story. Will the client give you a good review? Let's hope so. Good luck!

kamicaldwell
Ace Contributor
37 of 49

Well, I finally actually ended the contract today. The last time I tried leaving I got reeled back in with messages saying how I promised to do these books. No milestones are ever funded in advance. After delivering the latest book edit,  the client had the nerve to imply it wasn't as thorough as the rest I've done. Each time it's a different author so, I politely replied explaining my editing methods. 

When they wrote back still commenting that the editing was "light" I didn't even reply. I just closed the contract because I take pride in the work I do and, yes, criticism is okay, but not if they don't understand why the editing of each book varies.

Of course, I was spammed with 6-8 message at a time over and over saying they don't agree and I need to finish work I've promised and blah blah blah. Eventually I stopped replying and they paid the fee for the edit as a bonus (I said they didn't have to if they weren't satisfied) and gave a polite "goodbye". 

I dont know know if this will negatively affect my JSS, but I'm relieved the contract is over. I left good feedback based on the first part of our work together, but they didn't leave anything. Other than trapping people in contracts, they are a pretty good client for a newbie just learning the ropes and how to price services appropriately. 

Sidenote: I saw a previous thread about this client spamming people with invites. I received a few also for writing an ebook, which isn't something I even do on here...at least not for that price. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
38 of 49

But at least you can walk away feeling great about yourself for sticking to the truth and you can sleep at night knowing that you told the truth and stuck to a good ethical standard of not lying to someone exploiting you. It's really hard sleeping at night after you lie to someone.

LOL that jss is gonna be a disaster 

kamicaldwell
Ace Contributor
39 of 49
I may need to look at this too as I get more experience I suppose. I try to think of things from the client's perspective. For that rate I would expect an expert with tons of experience, both on UpWork and off. Currently, I don't have that so, I leave the higher paying jobs to the real experts.
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
40 of 49

@Kambria D wrote:
I may need to look at this too as I get more experience I suppose. I try to think of things from the client's perspective. For that rate I would expect an expert with tons of experience, both on UpWork and off. Currently, I don't have that so, I leave the higher paying jobs to the real experts.

I listen to my clients (and prospects) and do my best to accommodate them. I do not try to think of things from the clients' perspective, which is in any event unknowable. That way madness lies. We have businesses to run, expenses to cover, and valuable expertise to sell. That's where our rates come from. That's where the tone of our marketing and our professional correspondence comes from.

Your being younger/newer to freelancing/newer to editing than some of the veterans here does not necessarily make your expertise any less "real." Only your attitude and self-presentation can do that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS