🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Client wanted to me transfe money to s...
Page options
mohsin013
Community Member

Upwork Client wanted to me transfe money to someone

Hi All, 

Recently, I received an offer from someone. The job was related to marketing, which is not my area of expertise. In response, I informed the client that this was not my area of expertise. In response, he informed me that he would transfer me 2000 USD and that I should transfer 1500 USD to someone who resides in Dubai (since I am a local). 

Is this a scam or something which is legal?

If he is a scammer then is there any way to report him? 

I am sharing screenshots as well. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
sofia2008
Community Member

This is a scam. Transferring money is not a job.

You can report by clicking on the 3 dots beside his message.

Sending money outside of Upwork is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

Never accept to transfer money or to buy something (e.g. crypto, USDT, domain, channel) for a client. What happens is the client payment method fails, so you do not get paid and loose what you paid with your own money.

sparkesusan
Community Member

Scam! Run, do not walk, away, fast. No legitimate client will ask for money to be transferred, bought, etc. If you have even a small doubt of a job being "real", report it immediately. Unfortunately, you will come across these and that's just the nature of the beast I guess.

mohsin013
Community Member

Thank you for you feedback. The client is gone now. I cannot find his id 

the-right-writer
Community Member

As others have said, this is a total scam and violates a number of international and local laws. The best way to report a problem client is to flag and include any information you have. If you had accepted the "job", you would never have made money, lost money, and possibly faced legal consequences. That's if the job was real - which it was not. It's just another way to cheat freelancers. The scammers make up something for freelancers to do to keep them occupied and believe it's a real job. Until the chargeback, when you are left with less money than before the job.

You need to read and follow the Terms of Service so you know jobs like these are a violation and could cost you the ability to use Upwork in addition to losing your money. Then read this from Wes: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members