🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork Giving Refund Automatically - I know I...
Page options
lynardcruz
Community Member

Upwork Giving Refund Automatically - I know I'm under Payment Protection

I know I'm under Payment Protection -I replied but where can I follow up about this? And I worked hard on this, it's a rush job where I finished an ecommerce website in 2 days. How can it be low activity as their reason? I can't contact the client anymore, Upwork suspended the contract a week ago.

The client removed access to the website I'm working on. I know the client is sketchy, because of how fast he wants me to work, and he is new to Upwork, but his Payment is verified, so I know I got this Payment protection, so I still accepted the contract and finished the job as fast as he wants it.

Below is Upwork email to me.

Upwork Support Team (Upwork Help)

Oct 18, 2022, 11:20 PM GMT+8

Hi Lynard,

We are writing to let you know that your client's payment was unsuccessful for the week of 2022-10-09. Since we offer payment protection, we reviewed your account carefully to see if this payment is covered under Upwork Hourly Payment Protection. Unfortunately, it is not because   to be covered for payment protection. We have returned the following amount to your client:

Amount Reversed: $ 48.06
Client Name: Aymerick Vallon
Invoice Date: 2022-10-09
Contract ID#: 31643069
Reason: Low Activity

The above will show up in your transaction history as a "Refund. "At this point, if your client approved the hours for this week, we suggest asking them to issue a bonus payment to you for the amount. We also want you to verify your identity so going forward you get the benefit of   and stay in good standing on Upwork. To do so, go  .

Regards,
The Upwork Team

Here is a screenshot that I'm verified:
lynardcruz_0-1666118241439.png

6 REPLIES 6
the-right-writer
Community Member

Upwork only protects the funds under very specific circumstances. Unfortunately, from what you posted, they will not cover your time. You need to learn about how to use the automatic hourly tracker.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

They can ask for verification a number of times, that is not unusual.

sana987
Community Member

The same happened to me, my all contract they return, what the hell they are doing with freelancers;?

jonincanada
Community Member

Yup, I'm a top-rated-plus freelancer working with a sketchy client.  Upwork just force refunded my entire work diary week because they say I'm "low activity".  I mean Upwork paused the contract because the client maybe didn't have money but that's what the hourly protection plan is.  Me? "Low activity"?  You're kiddingn right?  Maybe it's their broken imaginary 10 minute window slots that calculate incorrectly.  No one taking accountability. 

Hi Jon,

We certainly understand your frustration and I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience. Please note that when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed.

However, I can see that you're already in contact with the team handling your case and a support ticket has been set up with it as well. Please continue coordinating with the team through your email or this page for the ticket and they will surely assist you accordingly.

A gentle reminder, please avoid creating several tickets or posts for the same concern so that the team could assist you more efficiently. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Yes, forget the "payment protection".  I'm a top-rated-plus freelancer and was just forced to give a refund for being flagged as "low activity"  seriously?  I mean the 10 minute slot activity tracker is practically and logically flawed.  No help from Upwork support on that one.  Scammers win again.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members