cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork does nothing against Scammers!

Emrah Y Member Since: Jun 12, 2015
1 of 16

Hello,

I was scammed by someone who claimed to be from London. He has a job posting with the title "Personal Manager" I worked for him during one month and I wasnt paid and the worse ;  he stole my data and I found out that he opened different paypal accounts in my name therefore my own paypal account has been blocked. I cannot write his name here because it is cencored. My previous post about him was deleted. It seems that Upwork doesnt let announce scammers here. I would like to know why...  Upwork administrators!!! All you are responsible for any scammer in this website! If you get tax for my earnings every time, then you should be responsible to provide the security here!!! It was written "payment  methods varified" in scammer's profile!! and regarding it i accepted his offer.  I really wonder how payment methods are variefied in Upwork...

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 16

Do you not think personal responsibility plays a part too? I'm not sure how you managed to work for him for a month without getting paid; though I strongly suspect you were working outsde Upwork. If this is so, it would also explain how he got your personal data, no Upwork client I've had has ever asked me for more than my e-mail or Skype address.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
3 of 16

Emrah,

None of us support scams, but what Ramon said makes perfect sense. How come his behavior didn’t raise any red flags? For somebody to be able to open a PayPal account on your name he would need a copy of your ID and a lot of sensitive data. UpWork can’t protect you if you decide to give away such info. They can only protect the work you do on this platform.

If you have evidence that you have worked for him and no payment was released and this was all done through UpWork, then you should contact CS. If they are able to verify that the client scammed you, you might be able to get your money back.

Having a verified payment method doesn’t mean that the client won’t scam you. The client who scammed me had verified method, 4.99 star reviews, but he still did it. As long as you keep your work and payment on UpWork you can expect CS to help.

I understand that not being able to shout his name to the world is frustrating (I’ve been there) but there are always three sides of each story (yours, his and the truth) and UpWork must be fair to all parties involved.

I hope you will be able to get your money. Good luck! Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
4 of 16

You did not oberve him during 30 days. Even you did not feel a little bit doubt about them. It's unbelievable. 

Community Guru
5 of 16

No, you're wrong. Community Gurus have special powers to monitor the activity of other freelancers, and to take appropriate action if neccessary. It isn't just a meaningless title, you know!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 16
Emrah, we feel bad for your situation. This scammer is the villain here. He is a bad guy. But you need to understand: what happened to you would not have happened to those of us posting in this thread.

You made a number of serious errors. You must understand that you are not ready to work on Upwork yet. You need to spend significant time reading Upwork terms of use documentation, user manual and (most importantly), threads in the community forum. Until you have spent at least twenty hours reading community forum threads, and not posting, you will not be ready to work on Upwork again.

You should do searches on the forum on terms such as "scam" and "free work", and you should read the threads about job warning signs.
Community Guru
7 of 16
I respect Aleksandra's opinion and agree with most of her post, but I disagree when she says you should try to contact customer support or get your money back. The more you draw attention to yourself on this matter, the more customer service is going to dislike you and work toward terminating you permanently from Upwork. You did things that make them very suspicious and irritated.

You will not get your pay for that month no matter what you do. So your options now are to not get paid and move on. Or complain to customer support about not getting paid and risk punitive steps from Upwork.
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
8 of 16

Preston,

Form what Emrah said we can’t be sure whether he agreed to be paid outside of UpWork or not and whether he has violated any policy. I still can’t understand how anyone could agree to share any personal data with the client but that was his decision, so he will need to face the consequences.  

We can often see new freelancers breaking the rules out of ignorance (which should never be an excuse), but I believe that UpWork should educate them rather than punish them. I know we all have to take the readiness test but the “real life experience” on UpWork is a bit different. In my opinion reading the forum is a must, but only a few are aware of its existence.

In relation to the payment, it is his right to ask for payment if the work was done through UpWork and CS can definitely help (assuming he was following the rules and the client was actually trying to scam him). I was able to get my money back when the client decided to close the contract without final payment even though the work was delivered on time as agreed. 

Community Guru
9 of 16

I'm not sure there is any real distinction between scammer and scammee, I've got a strong feeling they're one and the same in most cases. I expect they'll continue in this way until everyone credible has left, and all there are is thousands of scam clients and scam workers demanding, in self-righteous remedial English, to know what Upwork (or whatever its called by that time) are going to do about their exaggerated and duplicitous claims.

Community Guru
10 of 16

re: "I believe that UpWork should educate them rather than punish them..."

I agree with what you're saying.

I am a strong and vocal proponent of Upwork providing more and better continuing education and training for contractors. There ARE efforts in place toward this end, but the way these efforts are deployed has failed abysmally.

I am not asking Upwork to punish Emrah, but I think they will if he goes to Customer Support about this.

No two ways around it. If you worked for a month without getting paid, OR if a client was able to hijack your PayPal account, then you made some serious mistakes.

These may or may not have been "moral" transgressions. These may or may not have been violations of Upwork Terms of Use rules. They may have simply been grievious tactical errors by a person whose understanding of the Internet is remedial. Either way, serious mistakes with major consequences were made. And these were mistakes that neither Ramon, Abdul, Aleksandra nor myself would ever mistake.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS