cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
41 of 326

Hi Alex,

Jennifer is correct. The new pricing system will not apply to your contracts with Enterprise clients. This is because we negotiate individual contracts with those companies on a case by case basis.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ali-ws
Ali S Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
42 of 326

Yeah and thats why you hide the entperise company's name from the freelancer so we can get smacked on our bums and work cheap for you. Super fair treatment. 

I think 20% cut is fair, I think it should be even higher, but anything higher than that Upwork does not deserve, because this platform is saturated with low bidders and very unskilled talents who get a rising talent badge from completing a profile. 

jgnail
Ace Contributor
Jeremy N Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
43 of 326

Likewise! 

This is very disturbing. And its not even like this is TAX money coming out of our pay or for any freelancer benefits (health, dental, SS, insurance, etc.) If it were going towards something for OUR benefit, great, but sadly its simply Upworks way of making an astronomically large amount of money off of us, the workers who are doing all of the work. 

What is REALLY sad is we, as freelancers, are lucky when we DO get the work because the majority of the jobs posted are unresponsive, spam or only hiring for $2 an hour to someone over seas. Thats just the world we live in, so we deal. I also understand, like all jobs, we're not told to work here or even be here.

Truth is this has been the only legit site for me where I've seen results and have gained quite a few Clients from.

This is not only disturbing for us freelancers, but to the clients seeking us out. Its always been a fee that us and the client both pay for, but now that its up to 20% - our hourly rates need to go up so that the actual rate we are paid is fair to US. Its a fee that now our Clients will have to pay and the truth is, they're not going to like that and will look elsewhere for freelancers. Which means no jobs for us, no jobs posted for Upwork and just no more Upwork. 

And you're right, I guarantee that over 80-90% of workers here are under $500 with their clients. Its crazy. 

I could understand if they had an ANNUAL fee or something for the services - something low in charge like a lot of websites have, but this is outrageous. 

Unless our clients are willing to pay this fee, we're screwed. 

bailwalyogesh
Yogesh B Member Since: Nov 20, 2014
44 of 326

You're right, its too much. They're taking 20% from freelancer's hardwork. What about the freelancers who work on small projects, each time with a new client at very competitive rate. How can they survive when they've to pay 20% plus forex.

teamunderhill
Rod U Member Since: Jul 1, 2016
45 of 326

Most of my work is at the $250 range. I will raise my prices and explain why. The clients can either take it or leave it. My prices are discounted way down here on Upwork, and I won't work any cheaper. The clients will simply have to pay the difference. If they can get better deals elsewhere, they will go elsewhere and over time it will either appear that Upwork has priced itself out of business or not.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
46 of 326

@Rod U wrote:

Most of my work is at the $250 range. I will raise my prices and explain why. The clients can either take it or leave it. My prices are discounted way down here on Upwork, and I won't work any cheaper. The clients will simply have to pay the difference. If they can get better deals elsewhere, they will go elsewhere and over time it will either appear that Upwork has priced itself out of business or not.

Sounds like a step you should have taken a long time ago. Why would your prices be "discounted way down" on Upwork? Rather than thinking in terms of clients paying the difference, maybe you should just charge what you're worth. 

chrismanley
Ace Contributor
Chris M Member Since: Jun 8, 2010
47 of 326

If Upwork's goal is to work towards longer-term contracts this will help them, and us, get there.  Most of my contracts on Upwork have been long-term which is the main thing I look for when deciding whether to take a contract. I'd rather be working than interviewing.  And I'd rather work with people whose likes and dislikes I'm already familiar with, than constantly getting to know new clients.

True, on short-term work it will suck to pay the higher fee, but I can always up my hourly rate accordingly. That may mean fewer interviews, but that's fine with me.  After my first year on oDesk (I've been around a while) I started getting so many invitations to interview it was almost annoying. Matt just started and I hope he'll give it time to work for him as it has for me.  

Think long-term, Matt.

Chris

jennyleigh
Jenny L Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
48 of 326

It makes absolutely no sense for me to take on any more new clients on here now. Most jobs I get through here are one-off jobs that can be completed in a few hours so I'll never bill over $500 for them. I do have some ongoing jobs that I'll stick with but I can't see me bothering to take on anything new with the fee of 20%. I'd be reluctant to pay a 20% fee for ANY site, but with the messgaing system playing up yet again, constant issues accessing various pages and the number of spammy jobs on here, it's laughable.

The positive is that it will encourage me to find more off-Upwork clients as I've been slacking a bit lately on that front. Every cloud....

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
49 of 326

Sweet another thread on the topic. It's fee apocalypse. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
50 of 326

Seal taunter.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS