cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork should be vetting Clients to remove the scammers

Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
1 of 15

As a successful Freelancer on Upwork here is just one of my recommendations to improve the platform. 

We as Freelancers are closely scrutinized by Upwork and for good reason. If you are trying to attract the best clients you want some kind of system in place that prevents fraudulent people posing as a legitimate Freelancer.  So as a Freelancer I should also expect the same vetting for my clients especially when I pay a 10% fee for each successful project that is completed. Are we receiving that? I would have to say clearly we are not. We see posts about scam after scam without a clear direction on how to handle or solve the root cause of the problem.

Below is just my recommendation but feel free to add to the list. 

1.) Every job posting should cost something to the client. I say this because not only will it reduce fraudulent posts but creates a vested intrest with the client to proceed with a project within Upworks platform.  Even a small sum of $3(non-refundable) per job post would eliminate many of the issues we see on a daily basis. It would also validate good clients and red flag clients with invalid payment methods prior to a project start. 

Some wise person once told me that there is no respect or value in Free. It couldn't be a more true statement. Now we just need Upwork to believe that it has value.  I would love to hear others ideas on improving the platform.

Community Guru
Mahesh A Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
2 of 15

It’s a very good idea Russell, But I don't think client whose budget is 5$ will be happy to pay 3$ posting fee, Although if they do it will be great

Community Leader
3 of 15

Indeed, and thats ok in my book. Look at it this way, are we racing to the bottom or climing to the top. It's a choice. Do I think it will solve all of the issues? Not at all, but I do think it would clear up alot headaches for the Freelancer, Upwork and yes even the clients. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 15

I have 0 issues with scammers because I'm not dumb. 

This would hurt my bottom line, so no. Just no. I sell new clients a lot. It's risky, but there are great rewards for it too.  I have 0 issues with someone throwing out a gig for free just to see what freelancers respond.

Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
5 of 15

A proposal cost freelancer $2 i.e 2 connects. Why to work for $5 jobs is completely not understandable to me. Minimum budget for fixed price jobs should be $20 and yes upwork should charge atleast $1 for every job post. We are paying $20 per month to upwork and now it seems we are actually wasting $20 itself.

Community Guru
6 of 15

This has been posted tons of times before. You'd kill off some of the terrible clients and scammers, but you'd be killing off good clients too. If I was a client and I just wanted to see what was out there, I'd post on a competitor site then because it doesn't force me to enter my CC info. 

Getting people to enter CC info is the hardest part of the sales funnel. Right now, freelancers have the opportunity to sell the client after he just tests the waters to see who responds. Force them to enter a CC and you'll find lots of the good first-timers posting on competitor sites.

So, a big thumbs down (again) on this idea.

Community Leader
7 of 15

Hi Jennifer, I agree with you. That being said you could easily offer the first 3  job posts at no cost so you can get familiar with the platform or something to that degree. There are far better solutions then the free for all that is in place now.  Don't you agree?

Community Guru
8 of 15

If you offer the first 3 for free, why even charge at all? Wouldn't that go against your goal, which is to kill off spammers and clients who aren't serious? Then they would just post for free anyway. Clients that have been around already pay the 10% fees I tack on to the bill, so a $3 fee for them seems silly.

Community Leader
9 of 15

Then again, real clients wouldn't have issues with a small fee to gain valuable proposals from Top freelancers would they. I am sure you are like me and spend time with my proposals to suit the client.  I value that time and think that a vetted base is good for the entire platform.

Trust me, I don't fall for scams either but It's still a huge issue for Upwork and the platform in general. It doesn't bode well for us to have an open door policy for scams and fruadsters. It's in everyone's best intrest to minimize their impact and foothold in this professional platform. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 15

As a contractor, as well as a client, I like the ability to post jobs for free. I believe this makes Upwork more profitable for contractors as well as for Upwork.

Russell's concerns about scammers are legitimate.

My preferred solution, as I have noted elsewhere, is to institute better training for contractors.

In the scammer chatrooms and at the scammer conventions, I want scammers to curse Upwork's name and complain about how they can't make any money at Upwork because none of the contractors there fall for their scams.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS