Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very urgent: Eligibility

pvmdistefano
Paolo Victor Maria D Member Since: Jul 20, 2016
1 of 5

Good morning,

I don't understand this part of the terms of service:

To use the Site and Site Services, you must have, and hereby represent that you have, an independent business (whether it be as a self-employed individual/sole proprietor or as a corporation or other entity) and further represent that you intend to use the Site and Site Services for your business purposes only, unless you use the Site and Site Services solely as an employee and Agency Member of a registered Agency Account. 

Does it mean that I have to register as individual company in the chamber of commerce of my country?

I want to start-up as a freelancer and do not have VAT number nor am I registered whatsoever as a working legal entity, but as far as my experience tells me, it was always possible to formalize my earnings with customers as "occasional work" up to a yearly limit.

Do I have to open an individual company to use upwork? Thank you, it is urgent for me: I need to start working asap.

Best Regards

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 5

Hi Paolo,

You can certainly create a Freelancer profile and work as an individual on Upwork. You don't need to have a VAT number in order to work on our platform, but you'll need to consult a tax advisor about paying VAT in your country on your earnings on Upwork.

Untitled
pvmdistefano
3 of 5

Thank you very much for your prompt feedback.
I will proceed to apply for a profile.

Best regards

mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
4 of 5

It is essentially saying that you need to be legally self-employed and you're not on the fiddle (i.e. you're working, but don't declare it).

pvmdistefano
5 of 5

Thank you, everything's clear now!
Best regards

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS