🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Video Verification phishing concerns
Page options
jdilkes
Community Member

Video Verification phishing concerns

Just spent a day working on my first upwork job, then this morning received an email asking me to click a link to go to video verification.

Have looked at other threads about this.

It seems "they" can see you but you can't see them.

They ask you questions about yourself for up to 10 minutes.

You may be asked to present identity documents to camera.

Apart from the creepiness of the task it seems crazily like phishing to click a link in an email to do this.

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi J D,

Trust and safety is our priority on Upwork. That’s why we occasionally ask users to verify their accounts. I would also like to confirm that this process is less than 5min, and the questions you may be asked are for the information you`ve already listed on your profile. 
You can also start the call directly from your ticket with number 25557461. I can see that you have also posted additional questions there, our team will assist you further directly on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran.

The email says up to 10 minutes. If it is up to 5 minutes, it would be good to change the email text to reflect this.

The email does not let you know that you can do the video verification from within a ticket on your website - it would feel less like phishing if this was made clear in the email.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi J D,

I`m sorry about the confusion and thank you for your feedback.

The instructions in your ticket also include a hyperlink where you can start the call with our team. You can access your tickets on this Link

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I don't think it was confusion - the video verification email gives different information to what you are stating here.

Varying information lacks clarity which results in confusion.

Pat M wrote:

Varying information lacks clarity which results in confusion.

Poorly worded Upwork communication resulting in Upwork blaming the freelancer's "confusion" rather than poor communication...

There seemed to have been an embargo on "sorry you were confused" for a while, in exchange for us not using "with all due respect" but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

With all due respect, the email says less than 10 minutes to set an expectation giving our agents a bit of a buffer because usually its about 5 minutes. With that being said, we do appreciate your feedback on improvements to the process, communication etc. as we do strive to make verifying a more seamless experience. 

Untitled

With or without respect, "I would also like to confirm that this process is less than 5min" does not mean the same as "usually its about 5 minutes".

Lena E wrote:

With all due respect...

Well played, Lena. Well played.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members