🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What are the legalities of working for a US c...
Page options
valkyrie2016
Community Member

What are the legalities of working for a US client without a work VISA

I just joined this site and have an opportunity to do some freelance work for a client in Mesa, AZ.  I am currently in AZ but do not have a VISA

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Mark B wrote:

I just joined this site and have an opportunity to do some freelance work for a client in Mesa, AZ.  I am currently in AZ but do not have a VISA

Then you can not work on Upwork, at all.

Petra R wrote:

Mark B wrote:

Then you can not work on Upwork, at all.

Well he can work in whatever country he has permanent residency in... 

Martina wrote:

Well he can work in whatever country he has permanent residency in... 

Obviously.

Martina  wrote:
You are in the country on a tourist visa, I assume.

Canadians can travel to the USA without a visa, unless unless they plan to work, study, invest or immigrate.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mark B wrote:

You are in the country on a tourist visa, I assume. You are stating your location as US, and you are offering to work illegally in the US. You know that people are getting deported for this kind of stuff, don't you? Depending on the severity of your offense, you might be prohibited from entering the country again for 3 or 10 years. 

If I were you, that profile would disappear in mere seconds. Actually, I would have never created it in the first place. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Mark:

If you want to live and work in Mesa, you will need to talk to local authorities. You might want to visit the Canadian consulate on Camelback Rd. in Phoenix. Nobody on Upwork - not Upwork employees and not Forum participants - are going to be able to provide you with the information you need or be able to help you with the necessary paperwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths