🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What do you do when you have old contracts pe...
Page options
javedaslam72
Community Member

What do you do when you have old contracts pending and no active milestones?

Hello, 

I have a situation. I have some old contracts  some old contracts pending, and there is no active milestone right now. Now, I want to end those contracts. Clients are also not responding.

The question is, "What will happen if I end the contract? Will it affect my JJS score? In a positive or negative way? What's your take on it?

Javed Aslam
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fe9b8d82
Community Member

I have a ton of clients who go silent after I've helped them with their legal needs.  After a couple months I just send them a message saying something like "Hey, it looks like we've finished up this issue, so I'm closing this contract, but if you need me for anything else, I'm here to help!"

Then close the contract.  Done it plenty and my JSS has remained at 100%.  There's no need to go through some long drawn out process.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
abid-kais
Community Member

Dear Javed,

In your situation, where you have some old contracts pending and no active milestones, it is understandable that you are considering ending those contracts. However, you are concerned about the potential impact on your JJS score and whether it will be positive or negative. Here's my take on it:

Ending a contract can have various consequences, but it is important to note that the JJS (Job Success Score) is primarily associated with your performance and feedback from completed contracts. Contracts that are inactive or pending without any progress are generally not factored into your JJS calculation. Therefore, ending these contracts should not have a direct negative impact on your JJS score.

However, it is essential to handle the situation professionally and ethically. Before terminating any contracts, it's advisable to make reasonable efforts to communicate with your clients and discuss the situation. Reach out to them multiple times through different channels, such as emails or phone calls, and provide ample opportunity for them to respond and address any concerns they may have.

If the clients are unresponsive despite your attempts to engage with them, you can consider sending a formal notice of contract termination. Clearly state the reasons for termination, such as the lack of communication and inactivity, and provide them with a reasonable deadline to respond. Make sure to keep records of all communication and documentation related to the termination process.

By handling the termination professionally, you demonstrate your commitment to maintaining a positive freelance reputation. This can help mitigate any potential negative impact on your overall reputation within the freelancing community, which could indirectly affect future job opportunities and client trust.

In summary, while ending inactive contracts should not directly impact your JJS score, it is crucial to handle the situation professionally and maintain open lines of communication with your clients. By doing so, you can protect your overall reputation as a freelancer and ensure that potential clients perceive you as reliable and committed.

Best regards,

Abid

I would really like to hear people's real thoughts, even if they are not articulate. Also, the "formal notice of contract termination." Oh, that will help. Why is it that ChatGPT never actually answers the question?

sbluetechnology
Community Member

Hello Javed,

Yes you can end your old pending contracts, it will not effect the JJS. JJS totally depend on reviews and star ratings. So you can end them without any worry.

Regards
Arjun

The JSS has nothing to do with the stars and public ratings. How can you be an experienced freelancer and not know this? The stars and public reviews are window dressing, and don't make any difference in the JSS. The JSS is based on private feedback, and job fees, and other secret metrics that no freelancers knows.

It looks bad when there are a string of jobs with no feedback. There is no reason to rush. The OP can close one at a time, over time, mixing with jobs that have feedback. It is not a good idea to dump several jobs with no feedback.

Thanks, Jeanne, for sharing your opinion. 

Javed Aslam
fe9b8d82
Community Member

I have a ton of clients who go silent after I've helped them with their legal needs.  After a couple months I just send them a message saying something like "Hey, it looks like we've finished up this issue, so I'm closing this contract, but if you need me for anything else, I'm here to help!"

Then close the contract.  Done it plenty and my JSS has remained at 100%.  There's no need to go through some long drawn out process.

javedaslam72
Community Member

Thank you so much, Miles, for the reply. I have exactly done the same.

Javed Aslam
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members