🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What is the best timing to end an hourly cont...
Page options
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

What is the best timing to end an hourly contract with a client who has suddenly become difficult?

Hello, I would benefit from your advice on when it would be best to end an hourly contract.

A long-term hourly client with whom I had collaborated very positively so far, has suddenly become sour to the point that I had to report a TOS violation (his junior staff pushed me to work for free, lied that he would reactivate the paused contract in 2 hours and he did not, and would make excuses and not share the basic tools to undertake the job).

I saved screenshots. 

The contract was paused and needed a simple click to be reactivated, which had been done several times. I tagged his manager (my key client contact) who intervened, unpaused the contract and instructed his junior to share the tools that I required. 

He explained that they are understaffed at the moment and needed help. I reconfirmed that I was keen to help and shared a date for delivery of the piece of work, which was accepted.

A few moments later, to my surprise my key client contact raised an allegation that work that I delivered months ago "had mistakes". Reportedly, a Team leader for Italy (of whom I knew nothing although we were supposed to be introduced and collaborate if he actually existed) took exception with my work.

I asked confirmation on whether such work was actually done by me, and was confirmed that it was, but none of it was shared with me.

I maintained a constructive approach, offered to get in touch with such team leader and asked for evidence of such mistakes, to be able to acknowledge and address them. I also informed that I saved all the previous work and that I normally review it several times, so there's very little room for mistakes. I also shared written evidence that some of that work might have been given to someone else and suggested to verify. 

The key client contact replied that there were ongoing checks and would let me know.

I asked whether he still wanted that I carried out the next piece of work, being that it was of the same type that was being put in question.

He confirmed that I should go on and delivery the work. This sounded suspicious to me. Why doing that if you feel confident that I made mistakes?

There are some new internal dynamics there, a change of climate and unprofessional behaviours that make me feel uncomfortable and I lost trust in both my key client's contact and his junior staff.

In the the interim, I completed, reviewed and delivered my latest piece of work in advance. The client has not yet replied, but it's the weekend. But I have proof that they have seen my delivery message.

As a next step, I wish to exit this contract in a graceful and professional manner.

I see they advertised part of the work that I was doing.

Shall I give any notice?

Or shall I close the contract and share a kind explanation in the accompanying message?

There are 2-3 hours of work this week, that should be reviewed by the client sometime next week.

What would you suggest as best timing?

I do not wish to enter in a dispute with them.

I feel disappointed by this experience. They have an interesting product and have ambitious plans. I loved the project and believed in it, although it was procrastinated for a long time. Their behaviours seemed nice and fair, up until now.

I would be grateful for your suggestions.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Yuck. If your gut is telling you they can no longer be trusted to behave professionally and honestly, then I agree it's time to get out. And it's always best to exit as gracefully as a flaky client will let you. I haven't encountered this situation on UW myself. In your shoes, I would send a message that I will not have capacity for their work after such-and-such date, that being just far enough in the future to not seem like leaving them in the lurch (and credible -- it's perfectly plausible some other client might have engaged you for a huge project that begins soon, and you don't owe them any explanation anyway). Timing depends on how the work is assigned... do they send you specific tasks when they need them done, or is there something you do each week? If the former, then I'd be inclined to wait out the review period for this week's hours and risk having them send another assignment in the meantime. If they did, then I'd say, BTW, this will have to be the last... If there is work you do each week without being specifically assigned, then I'd go ahead and let them know early this coming week and offer to continue for 1-2 weeks to give them time to find a replacement.

If they've truly gone flaky on you, then you can't predict how they'll respond. You can only be professional and reasonable yourself.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

So here's a basic question:

If a client doesn't love and appreciate my work, why would I want to continue working for her?

It is understandable that you would like to end things with this client.

But it may benefit both you and the client to NOT end the contract.

You know that you don't want to continue working on this project.

You know that they are bringing in other people to do some of the work you have been doing?

But do you know for certain that they are planning to end your contract? It doesn't sound like you have any reason to believe that.

The people managing this project have made mistakes, but they are intelligent. They know how valuable you are as a resource.

Have you considered this:
Instead of ending the contract, wind down your work considerably. Let the client know that you are transitioning in terms of what type of work you do, how much availability you have, etc. This way they can continue to benefit from you being part of the team, but you benefit by setting new, clear parameters about what you will do for them.

Some of the hard feelings go away as time passes, and there is no closed contract, no feedback.

I don't know if that would actually work for you and your present situation, but it's an idea I'm throwing out there.

Dear Preston, firstly, thanks for your patience in going through my lenghty post.

I am taking your suggestions on board and thinking through them, however:

- both my client contacts where dishonest and bullying on a small issue: what happens if and when something more serious comes across? I lost trust.

- I was hired for a B2B business development job and, being that the project is being procrastinated for one year, I made myself available for translations and localisations into my native language, on which I am very confident, experienced and well educated. But they are business localised translations, not B2C copyright jobs! So if someone does not like them, it's a matter of personal taste, not of a poorly made translation "with mistakes". Usually, such translations shall be submitted to a professional B2C copywriter and advertiser native in the language for fine-tuning.

- I am well-experienced as a receiving part of negative corporate dynamics and bullying, had to swallow and move on for many years as an employee, and do not wish to be dragged into them anymore as an independent professional.

- the matter of the "leader of the Italian team": was never informed that he/she existed which is bizarre and unprofessional being that we would be supposed to work together as a team to develop the business in my market. I have long experience as team leader. This is not a professional way of managing this.

- I find that taking on board and raising unfounded and undetailed allegations by unnamed and unknown people to be particularly unfair and humiliating. That is bullying. 

- In unsuspicious times, my key client contact told me that his boss is a friend of Upwork's founders. I feel a bit intimidated by that as well.

However, I am thinking through your suggestions to work out the smoother exit strategy to this. Thank you 

Thanks Phyllis and Preston for your helpful advice. I am out of this contract, I gave notice to the client with kind words after some time, to which he did not reply. Then, on the due date, I sent him another message to confirm that I was going to end the contract. When this happened, he did not reply with words but immediately closed the contract himself and provided a public feedback of 5 stars and a few words. From my end, I provided a realistic but polite rating and feedback. We'll see on the upcoming JSS evaluation if he has damaged me privately, although I believe that I would not deserve it. Whatever the case, I feel relieved 😉

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Yuck. If your gut is telling you they can no longer be trusted to behave professionally and honestly, then I agree it's time to get out. And it's always best to exit as gracefully as a flaky client will let you. I haven't encountered this situation on UW myself. In your shoes, I would send a message that I will not have capacity for their work after such-and-such date, that being just far enough in the future to not seem like leaving them in the lurch (and credible -- it's perfectly plausible some other client might have engaged you for a huge project that begins soon, and you don't owe them any explanation anyway). Timing depends on how the work is assigned... do they send you specific tasks when they need them done, or is there something you do each week? If the former, then I'd be inclined to wait out the review period for this week's hours and risk having them send another assignment in the meantime. If they did, then I'd say, BTW, this will have to be the last... If there is work you do each week without being specifically assigned, then I'd go ahead and let them know early this coming week and offer to continue for 1-2 weeks to give them time to find a replacement.

If they've truly gone flaky on you, then you can't predict how they'll respond. You can only be professional and reasonable yourself.

Good luck!

Thanks Phyllis for your helpful comments. So far, contrary to initial agreements, it's always been occasional work every few months, falling on my head unexpectedly and on a tight deadline.  A market research here, a translation there.

That's why I asked them to pause my contract and reactivate it upon need.

The core project that would involve regular weekly commitment has not yet started.

Looks like a large, hard-working but disorganised bunch. I am taking your inputs on board. 😉

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members