🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What should I do ?
Page options
8d1359cb
Community Member

What should I do ?

Hello Fellow Upworkers,

I recently got a job for "scraping a products from a website and upload the data directly to database on AWS EC2". after spending lots of time developing a script and scraping I completed 1st step of the job, now when it comes to database upload I asked my client for the database credentials. after 3 days he informed me that I cant connect to server remotely (his devs said so) so i thought of uploading products from his ecommerce portal. but it look like there are some bugs within application and its giving error when I tried to add product manually so automation wont work either.

I informed the client about this problem and sent him all the file that I scraped as 1st part of the job. but my client just said "Sir, I dont have time for the games". something that really hurt my feeling since I work with all my heart on this project and was looking for long term opportunity with him. Now I am confuse about this situation here. if I cancel the job then I get negative feedback which is something that I really dont want on my profile. I cant continue the work either cuz its not possible for me to access the database. 

Please guide me what should I do in this situation.

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
spectralua
Community Member

Clarify your needs. For example DB access or so. Wait for provided. Complete task.

8d1359cb
Community Member

I already clarified everything but it looks like that client has zero knowledge about development process. I can complete task right now but only thing I am worried about is the negative feedback which will I get if I go this path. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Rizwan, 

There are things you can do -and really, no freelancer should be dominated by fear of bad feedback or by unreasonable clients. 

I don't things will improve for you in this job. If I was in this situation, I would find a way of cancelling the contract as politely as possible, and if I felt there had been a misunderstanding about what was expected of me, I might offer a partial refund, but I would definitely close the contract. 

As you are top rated, if the client leaves such poor feedback that it brings your JSS to below 90%  (which I don't think it would), you could use your top-rated perk, which will completely remove bad feedback on your profile. If this happens you would need to do this within 2 weeks of closing your contract.  If your JSS drops but stays above 90, you should leave it and save your perk for another time.

Bad written feedback is galling, but not the end of the world; you can also respond to it. If this happens and you do respond, keep it very brief and professional. Freelancer rant responses can sometimes make a worse impression than the original client feedback.   

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members