cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do after the candidacies/When I will be confirmed that I got the job.

Mohammad Zakir H Member Since: Jan 24, 2010
1 of 7
Hi, I am new here. I got the job invitation for accepting. After accepting it went to candidacies [like: "Active Candidacies (1)"]. What will be next? Is there anybody help me answering this? I do wanna know that what to do if the job comes as Active candidacies. BR// Zakir
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
2 of 7
Hi Zakir, An active candidacy means that the client is considering you for the job. This is the interview stage, meaning your client has accepted your bid/proposal and now you and your client will talk further about the details. Use this time to ask any questions you may have, discuss the scope of the task and deadlines. Negotiate the rate in detail, particularly if it's a fixed term job. Decide how payment will be made (within oDesk of course) in terms of milestones and/or an upfront payment. Finalize with your client what will constitute the milestone. You may or may not get the job, this doesn't mean you start working on the job either. Wait till you are actually hired, you'll then see an active contract on your My Jobs page. Then you can begin work. Hope this helps!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Mary Angeli H Member Since: Jun 4, 2015
3 of 7

Hi!

I'm new here. I got 1 active candidacy and the client is already asking me to download a file from Dropbox and start working. Is this possible that this is a scam? Thanks in advance for the help.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Mary,

No, you're not yet hired for the job you mentioned. 

If you go to Find Work > Job Applications you will be able to check whether any of your applications were accepted. Applications you see in the "Active Candidacies" section have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

Don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

You should only receive payments through the Upwork platform. Paying and receiving payment outside Upwork is against our policy and carries a penalty for all parties involved. This policy is there to keep our platform secure and to protect both Freelancers and Clients. Please do click the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the job post or client's profile page to put them in front of us for review.

Also, note that posting private communication or any identifying information is not allowed in the Community, so I had to edit your post.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7
Mary, I read your details before the message from the "client" was deleted from your post. This particular project is MOST DEFINITELY a scam. It does not matter if you get hire button or not from them. This is a very common scam many newbies fall for.
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
6 of 7

@ Mary

IF you have been hired already, that's a good sign it's a real deal job. However, IF you have not accepted a contract from the client, tell the client to hire you first (send the contract for you to accept). Once you accept it, IF the pay is good enough by your standards, go go go!!

Check that the client has a verified payment method already in place. That's also a good sign. IF not, do NOT start working. Wait until their payment method IS verified. Tell the client about it if you have to.

People send files via Dropbox all the time. It's not THAT much of a worry..... YET!!

Just remember to pick UPWORK as your payment method. Otherwise, you risk a lot of problems.

From there, it IS still a risk but you can get a bit better help in following the info here and in other posts IF something goes wrong.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7

If a client asks you to choose a payment method, it is a scam 99% of the time. Some times this is a new uninformed client.

If a client asks you to start working immediately before you have an official contract in place, it is a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS