Did you mean: 

When will Upwork become serious?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 50

@Tabinda H wrote:

Well ! You can perceive quite well what I am endeavoring to point out

which is not always easy considering how you tend to phrase things....

Essentially the idea of "forcing clients to hire" is exactly the same as forcing you to buy something when you go into a shop and don't like anything you see.

Just apply more intelligently. You can see a client's hire rate right there on their job posting. If you deem it to be too low, don't apply if you find that you haven't got enough connects.

If your own hiring rate is very low, figure out what you could do better to get hired more often, from less applications.

Work on that. The world, Upwork, and clients owe you absolutely nothing.....

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
12 of 50

"You can perceive quite well what I am endeavoring to point out"

Yes. You've started threads about it before. You're still wrong. Clients don't have to hire anyone if they don't want to and they should not be punished for that.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
makeyourmark
Ace Contributor
Mark G Member Since: Jan 25, 2015
13 of 50

While I too find it annoying that so many jobs posted remain inactive, I think it's unfair to penalise clients who don't hire. Much the same as we Freelancers may try to gain work from various sources, clients have every right to look for candidates where they please. If they find a better candidate elsewhere then so be it. What Upwork should do is take action with jobs that are left open for months (they're clearly not going to get any new applications at that point) and refund the wasted connects back to the freelancers.

habitab8888
Ace Contributor
Tabinda H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
14 of 50

Not a bad idea anyway!

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
15 of 50

I have a client profile as well. I have posted two jobs, and I have yet to hire anyone.

The first job I posted was for building a website, and what I had in mind was very specific. I got dozens of applications, and most of them were horrible. I'm not an expert in web designing (which is why I needed to hire someone for it), so maybe it is my fault for not being more specific in what I envisioned, but I can tell straight off that 80% of the applicants basically took the keypoints in my job post, copy pasted them in theri proposal and just added "I understand you want" before it. The only applicant that seemed to actually have put into some thought into their application, a young Rising Star guy (whose application I found in the hidden folder...) suggested doing the website on Wordpress, and that wasn't what I wanted, so I ended up just getting frustrated when going though the applications.

The second job would have been me hiring someone to help me do something I am not good at for a client that wanted me to take care of hiring for them, and then the client suddenly told me they don't need the job done anymore.

Some jobs just have no right candidates, and some jobs unfortunately become unnecessary. Sometimes it happens.

Of course, none of this is to be applied to a client with dozens and dozens of none-hires, and nothing else. Clients like that should somehow be smacked on the fingers. Then again, they are easy enough to tell apart from their hiring rate, so why would anyone bother applying?

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
BEST ANSWER
16 of 50

The OP is frustrated and has the right to blow off some steam. Afterall, estimates show that as much as 48.6% of job posts show no hires after 30 days. Be patient with her.

No client has to, or should be forced to hire for obvious reasons. Nor should clients be charged to post jobs etc, that would be bad for all. However if more was being done about the chronic posters who have racked up an impressive number of 'no hires,' everyone would feel better, and there would be less outbursts like this.

If as much as half your connects can go to waste, applying for legitimate posts (since there is no way of knowing who will hire), I can understand the frustration.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

View solution in original post

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 50

Good point, Setu

But I am not sure a > 50% conversion rate is "bad" in any business...  looking it from a pure Sales point of view. If give or take 50% of all "expressed interests" resulted in a sale, that is the envy of the industry.  How many businesses convert half of all prospects into buyers?

Intelligent bidding and strong skills should avoid connects being munched up needlessly. If someone has a super low hire rate and you're short of connects, don't apply. Simple!

Clients with a (really) low hire rate are eventually sanctioned, we have seen them scream in the forums for being suspended.

I would be interested to hear which sector the OP works in  that it would be such an issue

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
18 of 50

Yes, she has the right to blow off some steam, but as its been pointed out, she is bringing this up quite a bit. This subject is like a hamster running on a hamster wheel and never going anywhere. 

So, if she's not getting the point that she's not wasting her connects if she doesn't get a job after making a proposal, and that clients don't have to hire anyone if they don't want, then maybe a moderator can explain it better? 

I understand that she's frustrated, and I'm not sure if I'm the only one that feels this, but the posts are sounding hostile and to me there will never be an answer good enough unless it meshes with hers. 

I have gotten frustrated as well when I apply to jobs and don't get hired, but it's the game I play and I have won a few rounds so that's encouraging. I take chances on some jobs and I make sure I really think about other job posts before I submit a proposal. Winning a job is  a crapshoot for me, but I like to gamble a bit and every gambler knows you have to pay to play. 

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
19 of 50

If I am not mistaken, freelancers can see whether clients have hired in the past. When you click on a job, on the right hand side of the posting, it shows this kind of info:

About the Client

United States
04:56 PM

111 Jobs Posted
92% Hire Rate, 1 Open Job

Over $50,000 Total Spent
106 Hires, 0 Active

$10.35/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid
7,723 Hours

Member Since Jun 3, 2008

That will tell you if the client is just messing around, or if they are serious and just can't find the right freelancer.

Freelancers have to do some due diligence too before bidding or working for a client. :-)

But I totally understand what you are saying. I have 100+ jobs I bid on still sitting in my Archives where the client never hired anyone.
tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
20 of 50

Yes it can be frustrating when a client doesn't hire someone for a project. I have seen it countless times. But as someone else has noted, many of these clients not only post on this site but multiple other sites for the same job. That tells me that apparently the majority of people who applied for the job were not qualified or simply wasn't what the client was looking for. It is their right to pick and choose because they want the right person for the job. You would want the same for yourself.

Clients do not owe freelancers anything. They are not obligated to us.

As a freelancer, the best thing you can do is to research the client the best you can (which seems to be harder as time goes on). Look at who they hire. Look at their hire rate.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS