🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Who are the new updates for?
Page options
malikdogan
Community Member

Who are the new updates for?

Hi there,

I have been working here as a freelancer for a long time. I've even been top-rated recently. I opened this thread to express an issue that I am uncomfortable with. All updates on the site are against freelancers. All of them are more geared towards selling connect. The number of connects we need to spend on job applications is constantly increasing, even if we do not boost. We are constantly paying money when bidding for work, after receiving and performing the work, and when withdrawing money from our account, and these amounts are constantly increasing. When we explain a problem to an official from Upwork, we receive e-mails that start with "I understand you" but do not understand and do not solve any problems. Of course, these are all legal and the site can do whatever it wants, but I'm just writing these to see freelancers who think the same as me. Maybe one day an update will really work in our favor.

Have a good day everyone!

11 REPLIES 11
vish_v_2018
Community Member

I am pretty Much new  here  can you Guide me to make good profile and how to get projects , 

Thanks 

Vaishali,

You should start a seperate post if you wish seek help with your Profile.

The first thing you need to do is set your profile to Public. Right now, it is Private.

Then, read through Upwork's Sample Profiles and Best Practices.

spectralua
Community Member

I agree.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hi Muhammed,

There are updates in the various communities and threads for freelancers, clients, service updates, etc. Click the various links on the top of the page for more information. There are 1,000s of threads in the communities.

Did you have a specific question that the Community can assist with or just wanted to make a general personal observation comment?

If the question is about Connects, you will need to read through the whole threads because everyone isn't saying the exact same comments. Thanks!

I brought a criticism to the site to pave the way for new freelancers. It's the freelancers that grow Upwork, not the customers. But some "highly paid profiles" are quick to act like there is no problem. Aren't we going to say our ideas to make this platform better?

Muhammed,

In any given quarter on Upwork there are 4,000,000 active freelancers versus 800,000 active clients. To the contrary, it's the clients that pay the bills and there are TOO many freelancers. There are already threads with the freelancer concerns - dozens of them recently.

These numbers sum up the situation. Upwork do not hesitate to lose freelancers. Because there are countless alternatives.

Yes that is correct - TOO many freelancers.

Muhammed, it is important to be precise and not give Upwork any more excuses to pull off more dumb decisions. When you say Upwork shouldn't hesitate to lose freelancers, you're only partially right. Upwork should absolutely do something about the low-skilled freelancers and should implement some restrictions to becoming a freelancer in the first place - none of these are being tackled by Upwork.

What Upwork cannot afford to do is to lose skilled freelancers. These are the people who bring some kind of "prestige" to the platform and they are the ONLY reason why high-paying clients are still on the platform in the first place.

The problem is that Upwork seems to be aiming for quantity and not quality, given that their boosting system has clearly become one of their main bets in terms of profits. So, the more freelancers, the happier Upwork is, no matter their quality.

Less low-skilled freelancers - good

Less high-skilled freelancers - bad

That's true, too, and actually this strategy is not good for upwork. Many talents who do their job really well but struggle for months in the crowd of freelancers and get no results, eventually leave the platform.

d9fc6d8d
Community Member

The new updates are exclusively to make Upwork's shareholders happy.

They don't benefit clients or freelancers. Upwork has clearly shown what their priorities are.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members