🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Why don't we get our connects back if client ...
Page options
e51367f9
Community Member

Why don't we get our connects back if client don't hire anyone and doesn't even close job so long ?

Why don't we get our connects back if client don't hire anyone and doesn't even close job for so long ? Shouldn't there be some time limit for clients?? What if client never close job and never hires any? Isn't connects are valueable for freelancers? If 50 freelancers are bidding, then all those 500-600 connects will just be wasted. Isn't that wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
tjmisny
Community Member

I also demand an answer to this.  It is unacceptable to create a "pay to play" system that continually extracts money from the very workers who give the platform any value.  

pudingstudio
Community Member

wrote:

Why don't we get our connects back if client don't hire anyone and doesn't even close job for so long ? Shouldn't there be some time limit for clients?? What if client never close job and never hires any? Isn't connects are valueable for freelancers? If 50 freelancers are bidding, then all those 500-600 connects will just be wasted. Isn't that wrong?

Sometimes people go to a outlet shop, try out bunch of clothes, and just leave.
It's on workers to fold the clothes back and deal with it. Unfair.

Sometimes, people do buy a bunch of clothes and person working there gets a bunch of money. Happens.

It's on freelancers to judge if the job is worth spending connects.
Opposed to applying to all of the/any job posts, hoping for the best.

This is a terrible analogy.

The outlet shop workers are paid a salary for their labor.   They are not paid on commission.  Freelancers are only paid if they close a job... and now on Upwork, they have to pay out of pocket, even when there is a client who turns out not to be serious.  (Or else the algorithm may make the proposal difficult for client to see).  So Freelancers are now losing money on jobs where client never even views the proposal.  For example, around 60-65% of my boosted proposals are not even viewed.... I am Expert Vetted and I always bid within the client's desired range.    

Watched Pretty Woman, it's all on commission, they say. Must be true.
Dunno, never worked in retail, I do animation work.

Yes, we know your stance on UpWork, you're unhappy with it.

Thanks for the incredible insights, Antun and for dazzling us with your brilliance.  

Sorry to say, but Antun, you are terribly wrong. Workers get a salary for it. They are not doing that work for free. And there is atleast communication between customer and shop. So at least they knew the reason why the customer didn't buy anything. Not like this client who never hires anyone and not even close a job if they don't need it anymore.

Okay, suppose you buy a lottery ticket and what if they don't even do lottery?? 
Numbers of tickets sold and people spent their money in the hope of winning a prize and the owner don't even perform lottery. Is that valid? Will you still take the side of that company??

yofazza
Community Member

Because from Upwork's eyes we're not people but raw materials. You work to extract money from raw materials, not listen to their feelings. Because (at least up until now) no matter how many of you complained, the system works to provide them with their first profitable months after nearly a decade.

Isn't that wrong?

Wrong from your POV. 

But if you run a "high quality marketplace"  where clients and freelancers are happy and profiting but you lose money every month, wouldn't you trade it with another business model that play and trick people (legally) but put positives in your net income?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members