cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the services list so limited?

dehin

Hi I just signed up to be a freelancer, and I'm not sure what area of expertise to put as my main service. I'm an ESL Tutor or English Teacher, but there seems to be no service related to teaching, tutoring or pedagogy! Translation and Writing are possibly the closest, but they aren't exactly the same service as teaching. What should I do?

6 REPLIES 6
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

You can choose Writing and Translation as your category and then specify by adding Teaching English, ESL Teaching and English Tutoring skill tags to your profile.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Same issue ... I am a Managment Consultant/M&A and can see releevant jobs on the site but no choice remotely relevant what should I do?

Same for skills .... none are relevant .... looking for Stratgey or M&A

@Piers C wrote:

Same issue ... I am a Managment Consultant/M&A and can see releevant jobs on the site but no choice remotely relevant what should I do?

Same for skills .... none are relevant .... looking for Stratgey or M&A

Maybe if you spelled "Management" or "Strategy" correctly you might find jobs related to what you are after more easily?

Clearly there are not jobs for "Managment" or "Stratgey" as there is no such thing...

Thank you for the spelling lesson but it's not relevant. I cansee jobs on teh site taht fit my skills ...

My issue is on the Application Page. "What are the main services you offer to clients?" is  a fixed list with no scope to put in anything else. None of the categories remotely fits "management consulting" or strategy.

so do I just pick a random choice from the list? Same issue with "skills" which are focused on programming .....

melaniekhenson
Community Guru

@David W wrote:

Hi I just signed up to be a freelancer, and I'm not sure what area of expertise to put as my main service. I'm an ESL Tutor or English Teacher, but there seems to be no service related to teaching, tutoring or pedagogy! Translation and Writing are possibly the closest, but they aren't exactly the same service as teaching. What should I do?

Aren't some categories better suited to freelancing than others? If I were to hire a language tutor I wouldn't want him/her to send me typed copy or a PDF, or however this could be accomplished as a fixed-rate or hourly contract (I mean hourly and trackable by UW's desktop app...I can't see face-to-face tutoring working that way). I'd want it to either be face-to-face (i.e. in a classroom) or as some sort of online tutorial that had some sort of guarantee and that had students who could back its efficacy.

I don't think every single career can be broadly successful in every online resource. Where else are you advertising your services? 

Also...the "I speak some French" part...that's not very strong...I'd leave it out if you can't offer something solid as regards French language. Be STRONG on the points you know you can absolutely nail and don't just toss in other "I'm sort of good at X" commentary as it just doesn't sound very professional, IMO.

Melanie, a lot of people do that type of tutoring via Skype or a similar dedicated platform.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS