cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why switching to Upwork from Elance is bad for you

Highlighted
Jed R Member Since: Oct 6, 2015
1 of 8

If you're a freelancer coming from elance and you use paypal to get your payments then switching to Upwork will be bad news for you.

In elance you can make fund transfers to paypal at no cost. Here in upwork you'll be charged $1 per transfer talk about greedy.

My suggestion stay in elance and save that $1 every time you need to make a transfer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

Add $1 to your bids?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
3 of 8

This is why you are queen of Upwork, Jennifer. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
4 of 8

I've lost many a sleepless night over the $1 fee, but over time, and with extensive therapy, I've come to live with it. Over time, you can too. 

However, you seem to have forgotten that the freelancers switching from Elance to Upwork aren't doing so for the good of their health. Although withdrawals may not incur the princely sum of $1, the last orders bell has been rung and the lights are coming up at the Elance disco. Now is the time if anybody is looking to proposition a potential suitor for a last dance. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 8

Swan song?

Highlighted
Jed R Member Since: Oct 6, 2015
6 of 8

Upwork Service Fee

Even more reason why Upwork sucks!

If I put $5 per hour on my proposal I expect to get that amount not $4.50 per hour. **edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 8

Math is hard.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 8

Jed, there is an old saying: 'If you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen.'.  One just has to adapt - or not. But nothing is going to change the fee system on Upwork.

In fact, we are very lucky that Upwork has kept the status quo (for the moment). You may remember the questionnaire that went out not so long ago, to both Elancers and oDeskers/Upworkers about the hike in fees. Do as Jennifer suggested, adjust your own rates.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS